Android vs iOS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Figured this was the rage of many debates still, and admittedly my household is split. Its just me (android) and my wife (Apple) with phones/gadgets. Our tastes are extremely different so I figured I'd write up a post about preferences.

The biggest thing I've noticed about either OS is that familiarity is a huge percentage of the decision to buy. My wife is familiar with iOS and prefers to keep using it. She did admit that if the transition from iOS to Android were easier, in terms of data, she would consider switching. This brought up a good point, and basically the entire reason I'm making this post.

Short of a handful of features and varying degrees of simplicity, the biggest problem for Apple users is that moving their contacts, music, pictures, documents, etc is practically hopeless. Transferring your data from Android to iOS is soooo much easier. Google apps are present all over the app store, whereas Apple has virtually zero apps on the Play Store.

iOS users have no reason to switch when they can't move everything that they want to Android.

A list of why ios users don't switch:
    1. Familiarity.
    2. Lack of apps on the Play Store
    3. Simplicity.
    4. Its Apple and everything is cloud shared.
    5. I'm out of ideas because I made this post before thinking about it a whole lot.

Given those first 3 reasons, it leaves no reason to switch to Android. I thought about switching myself a few months, though ultimately didn't after I saw the Note 4. I don't hate Apple, but I do feel like being limited by a company that tells me what I want sucks. You don't own the device, so much as lease it. The software isn't open-source, which I don't understand. All that aside, Apple makes beautiful devices. Hell, they revolutionized cell phones. I give props to them for getting this trend started. But they could make a serious effort to support cross-OS apps of their own. Ultimately, they don't want you switching. Google doesn't care, Android is for the users.

Android:
    A multi-branch, customizable at the base level (ROMs), and ever present apps, even on non-Android devices. There's so much fragmentation between devices and OS versions that developers have a hard time squashing all the bugs. Most don't even try if the device in question is a minority. Additionally, the open-source nature allows cell carriers to install their bloatware that nobody wants. Carriers can delay important system updates if they have to re-add their bloat. Lollipop was delayed on AT&T (US) networks for months, the Note 4 just got Lollipop a month ago (and this was well after 5.1 dropped.) This is one MAJOR con to owning Android. You never know when your carrier will release the newest software update.

So what are your thoughts? Is Apple being overly protective or are they justified in keeping the wraps on iOS for themselves? Should they provide their apps for non-iOS platforms? Should Google stop supporting cross-OS? Should they limit what phones their OS gets installed on? I'm open to debate here. I'm sure I've overlooked things, mostly Apple because I'm not familiar with it any more.

Note: I had a con for Apple but got distracted mid-post and forgot it lol. Someone mention it so I can list it. Hint, it was something about Apple.

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I can't believe I typed all that up on my phone. Hands are cramping. Be back tomorrow.

Edit: I found this post after I typed this out examining the topic.

3. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I switched to Android after my iPhone 4S, but I decided to switch back after using HTC One M8 for about a year. Not because I was unhappy with the HTC, but I missed the simplicity of iOS and decided to purchase an iPhone 6. The App Store is a great plus too.

4. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Always been an Android user for phones but also have an iPad so use iOS as well, prefer Android over iOS

5. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I had some old iPhone and went to Androids. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, used phones from quite a few brands. Personally, I like Android phones, but usually people with Android phones are much more free with their device. I was downloading files and working basically from my phone quite a lot, and for a while I didn't use a computer at all for work, and I did it just about as well. I moved to an iPhone 6 Plus late 2014. It's different of course, it doesn't let me download files or work to that level, but I hardly need to anymore either. It integrates well with my Macbook and other Apple devices I have. Surprisingly (since coding for the App Store is much harder and it costs developers money) I'm pretty sure it has a higher range of quality apps than the Play Store, which is meant to be much easier. I don't really have a problem with either, but moving back into an Android device isn't going to be a smooth transaction.

Well, I think Apple and Google want completely different things. Apple have their own franchise of physical products, iMacs, Macbooks, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple Watch etc. Their goal is to get everyone to use one, and by making it stylish and good, they expect you to buy their other products because of the good compatibility between them. That's the main reason why if I bought a (smart)watch it would be an Apple Watch, it'd work well with my phone and other Apple devices (I don't wear a watch anyway though). They have software exclusive to them to make people want their devices. So for example, is FaceTime and iMessage any special? Sounds like something Skype can do. Not sure why, probably because of the simplicity and how integrated it is without the need of opening the app(s) and it almost taking the place of messaging, but they are two loved features available on basically every Apple device. If all of your friends using iMessage and FaceTime isn't a reason for someone to make a final factor to iPhone or Android I'm not sure what is. Their apps are deciders to make people purchase an iPhone.

Google's approach is totally different. They have apps everywhere. They aren't restrictive, and that's probably a good thing. Apple is the manufacturer of their devices. They price their products at extremely high prices compared to something with the same power behind the case. Google doesn't make Android phones (exc. their recent acquisition of Motorola). Google doesn't limit registration to Gmail to users who have an Android or Chromebook. Google doesn't restrict using their search engine to people who pay. Their aim isn't to get their products sold, it's their platforms and services, and the apps provide easy access to those platforms and services.

Both Apple and Google have a fine approach to what they're doing, and as long as they make money I guess it works.