Anyone used a Chromecast?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reaper, May 10, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm considering buying one.

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Basically it lets you stream from any Internet-enabled device to your TV to leave running while I work. Wondering if anyone's had any previous experience with them or alternative devices that are similar. Are they good?

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Honestly, I have an Apple tv and it doesn't get used. For $35, the Chromecast is what I should have bought. Oh well, too late now. Maybe consider Amazon's Fire TV too. I've heard good things about it.

Another thing to consider:
    Chromecast doesn't support Amazon Instant Video.
    Roku Streaming Stick doesn't support Twitch.
    Fire TV doesn't support HBO Go.

3. Reaper

Well, I'm from the UK. We don't have HBO Go anyway, sadly. I usually use noobroom (now superchillin) which seems to has every movie I've searched for, that or Netflix. Chromecast also lets you stream from your browser (I think it's in alpha and it's a bit laggy though) or a direct video file (best option tbh). The problem: the device that started it acts as the remote control, you can't fast forward, rewind etc. Something that can do that is probably what I'd want.

Apple TV seems very limited in what features it has, from what I see anyway. Like the Chromecast it can stream from a Mac or iOS device but I'm guessing that's laggy. Not sure if you've tried it before? I haven't heard of any other alternatives, I'll check out Fire TV.

4. Darth_Marques

The Apple TV wasn't laggy at all actually. And being able to push the video to the Apple TV was useful. My main complaint with it though is the accompanying remote is TINY. If my Note 4 didn't have an IR Blaster and my wife didn't have an iPhone? We would have never used it, if we lost the remote.

After losing the remote, I can actually turn the device on/off with my phone. But if I'm not home, you have to unplug the device, plug it back in, and then it'll boot up normally. My wife's iPhone 6 can't turn on the A-TV at all. Which sucks, because what's the point of having an app if it can't do everything?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Reaper

lol, an iPhone can't turn on the Apple TV but an Android device can? o_O

I looked into the Fire TV, it looks pretty good as well. Thanks for adding another one into the mix, or should I say another two. :p Does the Apple TV have support for a home stereo? Surprising that there's no delay between Mac -> TV, Chromecast has a few second delay and apparently sound is choppy, I haven't tried though. Apple TV and Fire TV come with a remote, but the Chromecast doesn't. Doesn't really make sense since the Fire TV Stick comes with a remote as well, no reason for the Chromecast not to.

6. Darth_Marques

Yep. Its been like this for a long time. The Apple TV shuts down WiFi connection when it powers down. So the Remote app works over WiFi only lol. An IR blaster on an Android device solves that issue lol.

Whatever you access on your Mac, or iphone, is streamed to the TV. Its not much different from streaming PC to PS4/Xbox One.

The TV is probably better equipped, being that its bigger. And for relatively cheap, especially for an Apple product, if you use it then its great.

As far as stereo support... It has optical audio out, so you can use HD audio on a surround system.

The Chromecast doesn't come with a remote because I think Google is pushing the app. Can't confirm, just my guess.

Edit: the Chromecast can use regular TV remotes apparently. Your TV needs to support HDMI-CEC for it to work though. And then you still have try setting that up, which I'm not sure about lol.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  7. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have had one for a few months now. I have not used it much lately, as I usually use it when watching movies online. It works great, but I used to have some issues with it. Sometimes it would have me re-install the Chromecast in order to use it, even if I had just used it the day before. It stopped happening one day, and I have not had the issue since. It might have been an update, but I do not recall ever updating it.

8. Reaper

Any problems with it when you use noobroom? Honestly right now I'm looking between it and the Amazon Fire TV Stick, which are cheap options and do the job I need. Not really sure which one to get the coming week.

9. project

I have not have connection issues, if that is what you are referring to.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. Reaper

Yeah, that was what I meant. Did you use AllCast or Plex or did you stream the tab directly? Not sure whether to go Chromecast or Fire TV Stick still. Fire TV Stick is meant to be much better since it's much newer, and it's actually the same price at the shop I'm looking at.

11. project

Mostly just directly from the tab, but I did use Plex one time to stream a movie that I had downloaded.

12. Reaper

Well, bought a Chromecast. It better be good. So much for saving and stop wasting money.

13. project

You will not be disappointed. The only thing that I do not like about Chromecast is the inability to stream the whole screen. I will be purchasing the next generation Apple TV when it gets out later this year (rumored).

14. Reaper

What do you mean you can't stream the whole screen?

15. project

The whole screen as in the whole screen and not just the chosen Chrome tab.

16. Darth_Marques

I smell a return lol.

17. Reaper

I was almost like... Wait till after I buy to tell the negatives lol, @Locke would make a perfect salesman.

• Like Like x 1
  18. project

I forgot to tell you that I work in Google's sales department :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reaper

Not surprised. Could probably get promoted to Apple's sales department soon enough.

20. Darth_Marques

Priceless!