Beware of SourceForge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

SourceForge has been bundling junkware with programs for a while, and I've stopped using them to find what I need. SourceForge has been abusing trust lately, starting as early as 2013.

The junkware is bundled without developers permission. Just a PSA, don't download from SourceForge if you can help it. I originally thought this was well known, but apparently not.

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've been getting virus warnings about the site. Had to go on it once to download FileZilla, but even core Mac OS X recognises it as a threat, chrome as well, and my initial layer of security (ESET) doesn't allow access at all.

3. Darth_Marques

Yeah, I've blocked it myself through various means. Just a safeguard as my household doesn't pay much attention to those things.

4. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I actually never researched why it was blocked, so I was always confused why such a site was now blocked globally on browsers and via AV software. Didn't know until now.

5. Darth_Marques

Yeah, I've had a few issues with SF before. Nothing too hard to fix, but still not stuff you want on your computer.