Destiny Megathread!

Discussion in 'Destiny' started by Darth_Marques, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

[​IMG]
    Bungie's latest foray into the wonderful world of video games. A primarily first person shooter game, with great PvE and PvP aspects to it. The content is being added to regularly, and has a lot of stuff going on. This megathread will be a general look at Destiny, and go into classes, weapons, and pretty much anything else that deserves to be in here.

Index:
    1. Races, classes, subclasses
    2. Weapon Types and Damage Types
    3. PvE Content (Vanilla game to most recent House of Wolves content)
    3a. Titan builds
    3b. Hunter builds
    3c. Warlock builds
    4. PvP Content (Vanilla game to most recent House of Wolves content)
    4a. Titan builds
    4b. Hunter builds
    4c. Warlock builds
    5. Useful Links
    6. Super Good Advice
    7. LFG/LFxM sites and help

I. Races, Classes, Subclasses
    Destiny presents you with three playable races.
    These are:
    1. Human Male or Female
    2. Exo Male or Female
    3. Awoken Male or Female

No race has any special advantage to it, other than the wave gestures being somewhat different. You are able to choose hairstyle, skin color, haircolor, and eye color (?).

After choosing your race for your first character, you get to choose your class!
    The three classes are:
    1. Titan
    2. Hunter
    3. Warlock

Each class has it's own specialized subsets of abilities and what is called "Supers" in the game. The three classes are generally determined to be a certain damage type, like Void, though each class only has two subclasses. Meaning, one class will only have two damage types. So to begin, I'll start with a simple intro of each class, and then get into a more detailed description of damages, abilities, etc.

1. A. Titans
    [​IMG]

Titans built The Wall that surrounds the Last City of Earth. It's the wall that Darkness breaks against, and is keeping the citizens safe. Titans are brutal, heavy, efficient killing machines that take a lot of punishment while dealing out their own. Generally thought of by Hunters and Warlocks as "brutes" with no finesse, they likewise consider the Hunters as "bunny-hoppers" and the Warlocks as "floofers" in relation to their double jump abilities.

Striker Titan, or Punchbro
    A Striker Titan is pure offense, delivering a huge package with their set of abilities.
    The first tier (tiers are columns in the abilities page) is...

Grenades:
    1. Flashbang Grenade: An explosive grenade that disorients the enemies it damages.
    2. Pulse Grenade: A grenade that periodically damages enemies inside its explosive radius.
    3. Lightning Grenade: A grenade that sticks to any surface, periodically emitting bolts of lightning.
    The second tier is Movement ability, followed by 3 modifiers.

Lift is the Titans version of a double jump, and activated by jumping, then pressing the jump button again.
    Modifiers:

1. Increased Height: Upgrades Lift to travel to greater heights.
    2. Increased Control: Upgrades Lift for better directional control while in the air.
    3. Catapult: Upgrades Lift to provide a strong initial burst of momentum.
    The third tier is your Super Ability, followed by 3 more modifiers.

Fist of Havoc: Smash the ground and dissolve nearby enemies in a maelstrom of Arc Light.
    Modifiers:

1. Aftermath: Fist of Havoc leaves a damage-dealing field in its wake.
    2. Death from Above: After jumping, Fist of Havoc can be aimed at enemies below.
    3. Shockwave: Fist of Havoc unleashes a wave of devastating energy which travels along the ground.
    Fourth tier is your melee ability, again with 3 modifiers.

Storm Fist: A punishing melee attack that deals bonus damage.
    Modifiers:

1. Overload: Hits with Storm Fist have a chance to immediately reset its cooldown.
    2. Discharge: Hits with Storm Fist deal area of effect damage around the target.
    3. Amplify: Kills with Storm Fist significantly reduce the cooldown of Fist of Havoc.
    The fifth tier is Class modifiers, that change your class values in Armor, Recovery, and Agility.
    1. Titan Codex I: Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
    2. Titan Codex II: Training focused on speed and toughness.
    3. Titan Codex III: Training focused on battle recovery and speed.
    Tier six is more Ability Modifiers that stack or also change your abilities.
    1. Headstrong: Sprinting increases the leap distance of Fist of Havoc.
    2. Aftershocks: Increases the duration of the Pulse Grenade, Lightning Grenade, and Aftermath.
    3. Transfusion: Kills with melee attacks immediately trigger health regeneration.

Tier seven is yet more modifiers for Armor, Recovery, and Agility.
    1. Titan Codex IV: Training focused on all attributes.
    2. Titan Codex V: Training focused on maximum battle recovery.
    3. Titan Codex VI: Training focused on raw speed.
    The final tier, number eight, is the final set of Ability Modifiers.
    1. Unstoppable: You are harder to kill while using Fist of Havoc.
    2. Shoulder Charge: After sprinting for a short time, unleash a devastating melee attack.
    3. Juggernaut: After sprinting for a short time, gain a protective shield.
    That's the ability lineup for a Striker Titan. It's important to note that there are several Exotic armor pieces that will give any of the above perks/modifiers to your Striker without them being equipped. Other armor pieces may provide perks that aren't even in the skill set of your Striker. Equipping armor isn't something I'll get into here, I'll have a separate section below for that.

Defender Titan, or BubbleBro
    The wall against which the Darkness breaks...
    Defender titans have access to a nice bubble that shields them and their allies from incoming fire. One drawback is that the bubble also blocks all outgoing damage, so unless the enemy is in the bubble with you...

Tier One:
    • Magnetic Grenade: A grenade that attaches to enemies and explodes twice.
    • Spike Grenade: A grenade that attaches to any surface and emits a torrent of damaging void light.
    • Suppressor Grenade: An explosive grenade that prevents enemies from using abilities for a short time.
    Movement abilities:
    Lift: Jump and press again while in the air to activate Lift.

Tier Two Modifiers:
    • Increased Height: Upgrades Lift to travel to greater heights.
    • Increased Control: Upgrades Lift for better directional control while in the air.
    • Catapult: Upgrades Lift to provide a strong initial burst of momentum.
    Super Ability:
    Ward of Dawn: Shape Void Light into an indestructible shield to protect you and your allies from harm.

Tier Three Modifiers:
    • Armor of Light: While inside Ward of Dawn you and your allies gain significant damage resistance.
    • Blessing of Light: Passing through Ward of Dawn grants you and your allies a temporary shield.
    • Weapons of Light: Passing through Ward of Dawn grants you and your allies a temporary increase to weapon damage.
    Melee:
    Disintegrate: Killing an enemy with this powerful melee attack creates a Force Barrier around you which absorbs incoming damage. Force Barrier lasts 15 seconds.

Tier Four Modifiers:
    • War Machine: While Force Barrier is active all your weapons reload and ready blindingly fast.
    • Gift of Light: When the shield created by Disintegrate is active all of your melee kills generate Orbs of Light.
    • Unbreakable: Force Barrier continually recharges.
    Tier Five:
    • Titan Codex I: Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
    • Titan Codex II: Training focused on speed and toughness.
    • Titan Codex III: Training focused on battle recovery and speed.
    Tier Six:
    • Bastion: Increases the duration of Ward of Dawn to 45 seconds.
    • Relentless: Increases the duration and strength of the Force Barrier created by Disintegrate. The duration is increased 5 seconds and is stackable with No Backup Plans.
    • Gift of the Void: As Ward of Dawn takes damage from enemy fire it creates additional Orbs of Light.
    Tier Seven:
    • Untouchable: Reduces the cooldown time of Ward of Dawn.
    • Iron Harvest: Heavy Weapon kills have a chance to create Orbs of Light for your allies.
    • Illuminated: Increases the benefits granted by Blessing of Light and Weapons of Light.
    Defender titans are useful in almost every situation, with that all important bubble that takes damage for a few seconds. At the time of writing this, bubbles areunderpowered in PvP, so not very useful though can be for a short time. I tried to note any important exotic armors that adjust the modifiers slightly or change durations, effects, etc. If I missed one, let me know.

1. B. Hunters
    [​IMG]
    Hunters were the first to venture outside of the walls of the Last City after the Collapse. Hunters learned how to manipulate the Traveler's energies, and survived in the wild with that knowledge. This lead to Hunters becoming known as rule-benders and trailblazers. Hunters serve as invaluable scouts when combining their traits of daring and ingenuity. Their bravery has led to many discoveries dating back to the Golden Age.

Gunslinger, or Gunbro
    Gunslingers are recognized by the glowing gun, lovingly called Golden Gun, that can be used to magnificent effect on the battlefield. They are expert marksmen, and great with the throwing knife. Quick and agile, Gunslingers can get in and out of an area without taking damage.
    Skill Tree
    Grenade - First Tier
    1. Incendiary Grenade: An explosive grenade that sets enemies on fire, causing additional damage to them.
    2. Swarm Grenade: A grenade which detonates on impact, releasing multiple drones that seek nearby enemies.
    3. Tripmine Grenade: An explosive grenade that sticks to surfaces and detonates when enemies pass through its laser trigger.
    Movement - Second Tier
    Double Jump - Jump a second time after leaving the ground.
    Modifiers for Second Tier:
    1. Better Control: Upgrades Double Jump for better directional control while in the air.
    2. Triple Jump: Upgrades Double Jump with a third jump.
    3. Higher Jump: Upgrades Double Jump for even greater height.
    Super Ability - Third Tier
    Golden Gun: Summon a flaming pistol which disintegrates enemies with Solar Light.
    Modifiers:
    1. Deadeye: Significantly increases the accuracy of Golden Gun.
    2. Combustion: Killing enemies with Golden Gun causes them to explode after about one second.
    3. Gunfighter: Reduces the cooldown of Golden Gun, allowing it to be used more often.
    Melee - Fourth Tier
    Throwing Knife: Throw a knife from a distance.
    Modifiers:
    1. Circle of Life: Killing an enemy with Throwing Knife while Golden Gun is active extends the duration of Golden Gun.
    2. Incendiary Blade: Throwing Knife sets enemies on fire, dealing additional damage over time.
    3. Knife Juggler: Precision kills with Throwing Knife immediately resets its cooldown.
    Class Modifiers - Sixth Tier
    1. Path Forgotten: Training focused on toughness and speed.
    2. Path Forbidden: Training focused on battle recovery and speed.
    3. Path Unknown: Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
    Ability Modifiers - Seventh Tier
    1. Scavenger: Picking up ammo reduces the cooldown of your grenade and Throwing Knife.
    2. Keyhole: Golden Gun overpenetrates and can damage multiple targets.
    3. Gunslinger's Trance: Precision kills increase weapon stability. Stacks up to 3 times.
    Class Modifiers 2 - Eighth Tier
    1. Way of the Drifter: Training focused on all attributes.
    2. Way of the Fearless: Training focused on toughness at all costs.
    3. Way of the Nomad: Training focused on maximum battle recovery.
    Ability Modifiers 2 - Ninth Tier
    1. Chain of Woe: Precision kills increase weapon reload speed. Stacks up to 3 times.
    2. Over the Horizon: Increases the range of Golden Gun.
    3. Gambler's Dagger: Gain an additional Throwing Knife.
    BladeDancer, or Bladebro
    Coming back to add this section...

1. C. Warlocks
    [​IMG]
    Coming Soon...

II. Weapon Types and Damage Types

Primary Weapons are your basic line of defense. Typically, this is your favorite weapon, as you do 80% of your killing with Primary damage.
    Primary Weapon Classes:

Auto rifle: the usual fully auto rifle, found in every game. Tend to be high Rat of Fire (RoF) and low impact. Mag sizes differ, from 25 rounds to 80+ rounds. These are better in close range battles, sometimes good for medium range.

Pulse Rifle: a burst weapon, usually fires bursts of 3. Much more accurate than Auto Rifles, and better at medium to semi-long ranges. Mag sizes are noticeably smaller, but the accuracy makes up for lack of rounds.

Hand Cannons: basically, these are pistols on steroids in the Destiny Universe. Typically, a low mag size and medium RoF. This can change, especially with exotics that may have a perk to increase mag size. Close to medium range weapons, though in the right hands can definitely be used at long ranges.

[Perk] Primary Care weapons: some exotics have a perk called Primary Care in the tier of perks. This allows you to equip a non-primary weapon (Fusion rifle, shotgun, sniper) as a primary weapon. Examples include No Land Beyond, Mythoclast, and Universal Remote.

Special weapons are you next line of defense, doing high damage but with considerably less ammo.

Shotguns: a staple of every game, shotguns are (currently) the center of Destiny PvP, and occasionally PvE. Low mag size, and extremely short range, they hand out ass whoopins like they're going out of style. Some shottys come with full auto perks, and others come with range boosts (Party Crasher +1, Felwinter's Lie) that make these mid range sniper Rifles.

Sniper rifle: another staple, though arguably these are necessary. Come with various perks for precision damage, usually allowing more damage, faster reloading or even infinite ammo (white nail on Black Hammer.)

Fusion rifle: a bit different, as they require a charge time before firing a shotgun blast. Better at range than shotguns (usually) and come with comparable mags. These have been nearly obsolete for the last few patches, as they were nerfed pretty hard.

Heavy weapons are your damage dealers. These do the most damage, and the ammo count reflects that. Typically, these are the least used weapons, but each Guardian is different.

Rocket Launcher: yeah, self explanatory. Low ammo count, high damage and a pain to use sometimes. Heavy ammo doesn't grow on trees, so use what you get sparingly. Best used against large groups, 4-6 or larger.

Machine Gun: again, self explanatory. Higher ammo count, but more sustainable DPS. Reloading is slow, but the amount of damage you can do is nice. Takes a lot longer to do as much damage as a rocket, but good for keeping enemies busy. Best used against 2-3 foes at most.

Weapon Damage types:
    To begin, these make considerable difference on harder difficulties in PvE.

Kinetic: just plain bullets being fired, doing physical damage only.

Solar: fiery bullets. Useful against solar shielded enemies, or when a Solar Burn is in effect.

Arc: shocking bullets of death, these things are great when Arc Burn is on. Also when you're fighting Fallen Captains, these bad boys are life savers.

Void: a small taste of what awaits those that refuse to move out of your line of sight. Send them to the Void Guardian. Useful with Void Burn events, and needed for the Thorn bounty.

Section 3 - PvE Content & Class Builds
    To start, you have your normal "campaign" or "story" missions. These continue on up to level 18 or so, and then you get into dailies, weeklies, and raids. Raids offer some of the best gear available, though they won't get you to max level right away. Once you get to a high enough level, it's a simple matter of running PoE events until you get all the gear you need.

Just a quick filler paragraph for time being, really busy.

Section 4 - PvP Content & Class Builds
    There aren't many types of PvP variants, as far as overall. There are really only three, and each has its own challenges for players.

The Crucible- Just the standard game types here, nothing fancy or even rewarding about them. Earn rep and crucible marks in these playlists.

Iron Banner- This game mode is all about winning. Losing grants you a Medallion that redeems for 80% rep when you win. Level and weapon advantages are enabled here, and this gametype is all Control. Bounties are worth more than standard bounties, and are the same each event.

Trials of Osiris- You have 3 chances to get as many wins as possible. Get to nine wins with a loss, you get awesome rewards. Get to nine wins with no losses, get even better rewards. 3v3 elimination, composed of 9 rounds. First to five (round) wins, wins the match overall. The best rewards come from Trials, so gather your squad, and win, win, win Guardian.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Looks great so far. Good job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Good job with this. Looking like a great guide for experienced players and newer ones as well.

4. Darth_Marques

Hoping to get part one finished by tomorrow, taking forever. So much information to include, and then I still verify some things before I even write it out. It'll be worth it when its done.

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    You really love Destiny.
    Maybe that IS your Destiny.... :eek:

@Darth_Marques Reaction:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Darth_Marques

Honestly, I'm just really passionate about it. My weekends are almost exclusively Sherpa runs until 2-3 in the morning. The few hours I dont have a Sherpa run, I'm screwing around with friends in Destiny. If I could stream, I would stream... But crappy internet is crappy and I can't stream.

7. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    That's like me and CS:GO, I play it a lot especially with friends.
    The only difference is crappy computer graphics cant handle Recordings....

8. Darth_Marques

I'm running a 7 year old computer with a year old gfx card... :/ I can run a few games but not many. I feel your pain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darth_Marques

Added section 2, rather short. If I missed anything, let me know. I'll add it when I get a chance.

10. Darth_Marques

Finished the Titan section of the class intro, working on the second section of the hunter. Hope to have Section One complete this weekend.