Destiny Patch 2.0.0

Discussion in 'Destiny' started by Darth_Marques, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So I played the new patch a little this morning (more like 3 hours lol) and everything is different. Quest lines are a thing, and they all require 5-10 steps before completion.

The Armor and Weapon stat changes are the hardest to adjust to. Essentially, all weapons and armor you have equipped count towards your light total. For the next few days, the max light level is 171. And how is that figured? Well, year 1 stuff all has a max stat (attack or defense only) of 170. Some weapons have 171 or 172 attack, making a slight difference. Anyway, here's how it works.

Your level: 1-40 is now experience based. It has no altercation on difficulty of enemies, other than wearable armor or usable weapons. This in turn limits...

Light Level: an average of ALL your equipped items. Ghosts, class items, armor, and weapons all count toward your Light Level. It's basically the same as the previous system, but figured differently and with higher numbers. Attack and defense stats are the light levels of the weapon/armor now. Say you have all 170 stat gear, your light level is 170. This effects how much you are able to damage. Too many levels under an enemy, you won't hurt them. Equal or above, you can do normal damage. Very similar to WoW's gear level system in that its an average of all gear on your character.

The new kiosks that dot the Tower mal are pretty useful. This was an idea that was suggested on Reddit, and was probably the most popular request aside from facial hair and a few other cosmetic changes. The kiosks vastly improve QoL for players that own a lot of weapons, but need room for more. These kiosks are separated by category. One for exotic weapons, one for exotic armor, one for shaders, one for emblems, etc. The kiosks list all possible items, as well as a short explanation of how to find/acquire the item. They also allow you to repurchase anything you owned but deleted to make room for new or different stuff. The exotic weapon/armor kiosks allow you to purchase any previously owned exotic for some glimmer and exotic shard (Year 1 items only.) Year 2 items (or upgrades of Year 1 items) are purchasable for 150 Legendary marks. There's an additional one for "abandoned" quests. This kiosk houses shortened quest lines that take place in the original story, so you rerun the stories of the previous game and expansions. These quests are provided by Bungie, after being requested by the community, and involve reliving the highlights of those stories while adding some additional back story. These reward you with new gear that isn't necessarily outdated.

Speaking of quests, I'll add this tidbit. You will receive a new quest for each subclass! These reward a decent rare cloak that has higher defense than your Legendary one does now. These quests basically are class/subclass specific, and reward accordingly. There is only one drawback to doing them before TTK drops: completing the quest before the release will result in you not getting the new emblems that are rewards for them. Bungie commented that its a bug, and when fixed with 2.0.1, will not retroactively reward those players that finished before TTK release.

The PvP meta has changed as well. Shotguns received a nerf, as well as various crowd favorite perks, including Final Round and range perks. The overall Time to Kill is higher now, as the weapon tuning fixes various over-nerfs to Fusion Rifles and Assault Rifles.

PvP also receives some new game modes. Rift is akin to Halo's Griffball gamemode, where teams try to score more points by "dunking" the Spark in the opposing team's rift. Special animations were created for this, and it looks awesome. Mayhem, a mode that was requested by the community, is essentially just an ability match. Everything is on ultra quick CD times, meaning you can super/grenade/melee very often. It makes for a fun match, and is great for blowing off steam. Thoroughly enjoy both new game modes, as they offer different ways of playing PvP for fun. Both are somewhat less serious game modes, compared to Clash or Control. These modes are available until Tuesday the 15th, at which point they will become available to gamers that purchased the TTK DLC. Honestly, these two new modes for PvP are well worth the money by themselves. The other content is largely a bonus.

Vanguard and Crucible marks are being consolidated into Legendary marks. Max of 200, and they are usable account wide, not per character. There will also be no limit on how many you can earn a week, so earn as many as you need. Just remember, they cap out at 200. (Easy way to farm some exotic shards, should you need a few. Weapons cost 150 Legendary Marks, so burn those extra marks for a quick shard.)

Class upgrade materials, Sapphire wire/plasteel plating/warlock stuff are all being consolidated into Armor Materials. These work like Weapon Parts currently do, and are usable by all characters for all gear.

Quests and bounties now have their own tab, just to the left of the Character Equip screen. It bumps Roster tab to the far left, but makes keeping track of goals easier. These are now viewable in NavMode (when you go to orbit or spawn sparrow these will appear above that.)

The most impressive part of this DLC update, to me, is the amount of content. Bungie managed to get 105 quests in with this update. Many of those are class specific, but some are NPC specific or faction specific. Each class gets a subclass quest (3-5 quest chains with multiple steps each), the Gunsmith (Banshee-44) gets Arms Day bounties that award a new legendary every Wednesday, factions have their own quest lines, even Amanda Holladay (the ship lady) gets her own quest (one of which, I believe is the Red Bull promotional quest.) Then you have weapons, armor, strikes, PvP maps, the King's Fall raid, several new strikes, new patrol modes, new subclasses, new UI and UI elements, a weapon tuning, and a revamp on rep gain and the like. Note that this was written before The Taken King actually launched, so there will undoubtedly be more to add this list. All in all, a preliminary value on this DLC is well worth the $40 it cost for the base DLC.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Darth_Marques

Alright, that concludes the preliminary thoughts on the TTK update! I'll add more once the DLC drops Tuesday, so keep an eye out if you like. There's so much I didn't add, solely because I forgot about it.

3. Darth_Marques

Keep an eye out for an updated post! The Taken King has landed, and I managed to get 3 hours of game time in before work this morning. Should have it updated by Monday next week. If it isn't someone message me. I'm lost in the world, and grinding every bit I can grind.

4. Darth_Marques

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Destiny.....

.....maybe?

6. Darth_Marques

Now's the best time to start. For $60 you get the two previous DLCs, the game, and The Taken King. And there's just so much to do. It's easy enough for casual players to still advance in a few hours though. I'm sitting on two characters that are at end game content after 15 hours or so of play. 12 hours on my Hunter, and 3 on my Titan so the grind is less on a second character.

7. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Some of my friends have played and got bored of it pretty fast. Maybe if I get a Xbox One at some point I'd buy it cause I got this one friend to play it with.

8. Darth_Marques

I play solo all the time, but I'm also higher leveled. Friends help a lot, especially for some tougher missions.

Did your friends get bored of The Taken King or just the game in general?

9. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    They didn't make it to the Taken King. Played for like a month after release

10. Darth_Marques

Explains it. Literally, there's not much for me to get bored with anymore. So much to do for one character.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Say my friend play it today actually. It looks interesting, I'll give it that. I'll look into it because I hate when people make a judgement by just a glance (cause it looked like a run and gun to me, but I know it isn't.)