Facebooks scraps $500 million plan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Facebook had a "secret" plan that was being worked on, ultimately to build a satellite and provide cheap internet access to developing countries.

Ultimately, the $500 million price tag presented its own complications, and today Facebook has since decided that its better off leaving that plan unrealized.

Facebook is still working on bringing internet access to these areas through cheaper means, possibly through leasing a satellite through a separate company.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Facebook is really trying to get its toes into different businesses. Facebook the ISP, lol. They'd need to open up phone support for starters, and that'd be a disaster when you get calls from random idiots (half of the people on Facebook, probably why there is no support system atm). The current business they're in would be a disaster to become an ISP. If they want to save time and money, they'll definitely want to go into a business with less support communication needed. Maybe if this did this they could lease it out to smaller companies (or make a child company that's not called Facebook, forgot about that above) to manage smaller groups of customers (couple thousand people) and give them dedicated account managers at Facebook. The price tag with owning your own satellite isn't going to be great either, not surprised they dropped it. The payback time for getting money back from these smaller companies would be too long for it to be a benefit.

3. Reaper

Amazon's been getting right at Google too, with more of its premium services. Apple Fire TV vs Chromecast. Akamai CDN. Amazon Web Services (AWS) vs the range of stuff Google offers (Google Cloud services). CDNs of course.

4. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Yeah, that's true. Especially when they were going for Twitch.
    Facebook wasn't just doing it for Internet access, there had to be some finical reason where they could've got big money otherwise Mark Zuckerburg wouldn't have done it

5. Reaper

It's pretty easy for Facebook to benefit from this. Google is #1 on Alexa probably, and it's #1 because most people use it to Google Facebook, which is probably #2 (figuratively speaking here, no statistics checked). Facebook is huge, and it connects people, even if it's used in a stupid way, I want to deactivate my FB account but I use it to message people every so often, don't have a profile picture and I don't post posts either). If they put this in poorer countries it would offer them functionality of, say, a mobile phone, but with more features. They probably have more motif as well in doing this, they're good at business. But yeah, you're definitely right on that point. Facebook isn't doing any noble deed, it's all about business.

6. Darth_Marques

Most likely. I see a lot of tax benefits as well, doing "charity" work in developing countries. Then the added business aspect, spend money to make money. This wasn't what it appeared to be, and Facebook having kept this secret has the benefit of shining whatever light they wish on it.

7. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    This is actually just gonna suck that much more because you have to connect to Facebook for so many things, this will probably only increase the amount of stuff that will need to be connected.

8. Darth_Marques

Honestly, a lot of websites allow Google+, Twitter, and other big social services to sign in/create a profile for you. I haven't missed FB since I deleted my account, and I was somewhat surprised at first.