Fallout 4 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Reaper, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

So I'm that guy who hasn't played any Fallout game. The hype for Fallout 4 was everywhere, social media, forums, gaming communities, papers, etc.

So now that the game is out, what do you think? What's it about? In the trailer I see a circus and think it's some game where we are gonna get surprised by clowns or something.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So its set in post-apocalyptic Earth. Each game focused on a different major US city, Fallout 4 focused on Boston. Each title has its own story line, not really connected. (A character from 3 shows up in 4, but that's the only time I can remember this happening.)

FO4 is about your character from Vault 111. Each Vault is a different experiment to study humans. Vault 69, for example, had 999 women and 1 man. There was also an exact opposite of that Vault, 96 I think. Vault 111 was a cryogenic facility, so all the "inhabitants" were frozen when Boston was hit with an Atomic Bomb.

As far as the game, you run around visiting establishments and making new settlements for survivors. You can build defenses, resources, etc for each settlement by picking up junk in the Wasteland and breaking it down into essential components to craft new items in establishments.

Aside from building, looting is a vital part of survival. Like Skyrim, you typically do dungeon crawls. Clear an area, loot it, and move on, all in the quest for clearing the game and advancing side quests. Legendary enemies spawn randomly, can mutate which heals them, and drop way better loot. Not at all like the Destiny and its loot system, in that its pure RNG. Legendaries are guaranteed to drop from Legendary enemies.

The game is single player only, open world. You basically do whatever you want, whenever you want. Starting out, you almost immediately get a suit of Power Armor, pictured on the game case. Most of the Fallout series didn't immediately grant you a suit, and was about working up to own one. The difference being, you can find multiple suits of PA in the world (or steal them) and offer customization options like paint jobs, mixing different suits to make one you like, etc.

It's a fun game, I love it. Worth the hype. Like I posted elsewhere, the bugs and glitches aren't game-breaking so much as hilarious. Other than some crashes of the game, its not all that troublesome. Well, the frame rate does stutter at times though, so that's probably the biggest annoyance. Other than that, I give it a 9/10 overall.

Anything else you wanna know?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reaper

Just about sums it up, thanks @Darth_Marques

Not sure if a freeworld type survival/creative game is what I like, though.

4. Darth_Marques

Basically it's Skyrim if you played it. Not bad, plenty to do. Or Minecraft on steroids even.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reaper

Never played Skyrim. I'd buy it on discount, but for £40? I dunno...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Fallout 4 destroyed Reddit, so I've seen a bunch of it's content. My friend loves Fallout and told me to check it out, so I picked up New Vegas on Steam. In the meantime, if I end up liking it I might play Fallout 4.

7. Darth_Marques

Fallout 4 was Reddit lol. Everything else just... Didn't exist the week of launch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reaper

Looked at a few Twitch streams today. Most of the idiots didn't know what to do and were just getting views somehow... Game looks boring to me. I'm going to see if any funny YTers have any gameplay up yet to get a better taste of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darth_Marques

And that's my problem with streamers... They jump into games they know nothing about, get bored/confused/lost/mad, and leave bad tastes in the mouths of the viewers. Which then causes people to not buy it, based on one idiot's first hour in the game where they didn't know what to do...

It's a vicious cycle, and worsened by the existence of streamers trying to grow their fanbase by playing games they have no interest in... /rant

Unfortunately, it gets kind of...goofy at times. The quests don't line up quite right, or you start one and get distracted in the middle of it. Like one mission involves following a "trail" through the Boston Commons. I started the mission without realizing, went to do something else, and later noticed that I had a quest with no marker (because I inadvertently activated the quest by getting too close to a location, thereby rendering the objective marker invisible.) It was like 5 hours before I figured out what I was supposed to be following and where lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Reaper

@Darth_Marques Agreed haha. I can show you a bunch of stupid channels. I'm sure there are some good female streamers out there, but a majority of them sit there laughing obnoxiously and doing nothing but being confused. Though, people watch (and donate) to get the "The biggest D: $5000" title in the stream. If only I was born a girl... I'd be in a huge house, a BMW and still have millions to spare ;)

11. Darth_Marques

I know, right? There are maybe a handful of female streamers that don't use their gender status to profit. Those are actually decent players, with some decent knowledge of the game being played. Nope, I watch few streamers as it is, but refuse to even sub to those types.

As an example, I watched one girl stream Dying Light on her first playthrough. She was lost the entire 20 minutes I watched, laughing in a strange way, and practically begging for donations. She was terrible, at both streaming and the game. I couldn't watch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reaper

I find it more strange how people pay for the recognition of "The biggest dabidolious D" on a god damn Twitch stream.
    1. I dunno if it was with D, but you definitely satisfied her need
    2. You need to pay to show that?
    If I did that, I'd need to change my name, passport and move countries in shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reaper

14. Darth_Marques

:D

Definitely give it a shot. I think you download Trials of games on Xbox. Does ps4 support that?

15. mhn3a

mhn3a Lieutenant

10%
    it's a really great game,I love it.