Favorite Text Editors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, May 14, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So I've used text editors for a while, and started with Notepad as most people. I got into HTML and CSS (MySpace, don't ask) and needed better text editors for what I was doing. Mainly, I was editing various webpages for people, removing copyright and such, which is illegal if you don't have consent. Anyway, I started looking for programs better suited to coding.

Sublime Text
    This is actually a full "trial" version that you can use indefinitely. It pops up a message once per session, asking you to buy it but after that its all yours. (The popup can be removed through a registry edit, but I won't post it because it could be very bad if you don't remove the right thing.) It has formats for php, HTML, CSS, C#, C++, Java, SQL, and more. Everything is editable and saved in a user-specific config file. Basically there's a separate default template, then you enter your changes in another template that override the default settings. Pretty easy. I've been using this editor for the last 3 years, since Sublime 1.9 or something. Its on 3.xx right now and its improved immensely.

By far my favorite of the few I've found.

Next, we have Notepad++.
    My second favorite program, and the first program I used after Notepad. Its essentially the same thing as Sublime Text, though it's not as configurable. Its a plain white with black text look. Several other useful options, but I haven't used it in years. This program is completely free, with no popups (in my memory) to get you to donate to development. Worth a look, and a very commonly used program.

Vim
    Vim is a medium weight text editor. It has an extensive beginner guide, and is nice once you learn it. It lives at the command line, though there are tons of User scripts that add a GUI if you aren't comfortable with commands.

There are many iterations, so find the right one for you. Its charityware, so instead of donating to them, you donate to the charity they've selected. Pretty neat.

Other options:
    TextWrangler
    UltraEdit
    Emacs

Have one not listed? Comment and I'll add it.
    I've more to add, but it'll have to wait. Got work to do. :cool:

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Best text editor personally was Sublime as well, and I used Notepad++ before that, with plugins it can feature as an amazing IDE for development too.

3. Darth_Marques

Never delved into using Notepad++ as an IDE. Interesting. I'll add this to the thread later, want to make a comprehensive list.

4. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I use Sublime Text too. I used Notepad++ before I switched to Mac.

5. Darth_Marques

Anyone use Emacs at any point? It was before I really got into computers that this was big so I never even tried it.

6. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Always use Notepad++, does everything I need it to.

7. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    The best text editor in the world for all my needs is...

Windows notepad

All jokes aside I use Sublime, I can't really imagine not having multi edit after using it, it's such a great feature, easy to navigate around and oh the snippets feature is pretty damn good too :)

Sublime is really... sublime.

• Like Like x 1