Good DLC VS Bad DLC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nova, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Me and my friends brought up the topic once and we kinda argued about it for a while until we all got frustrated and ended the subject. But as far as gaming in concerned now, I think this is a awesome topic to discus.

Where do you draw the line between Good DLC before it becomes Bad DLC?

Here's my definition of "Good DLC"

• Skin Packs
    • Some New Maps
    • Added features of the story
    Now here's what I consider "Bad DLC"
    • Exclusive Multiplayer Things that happen to be a big role (Ex: New TF2 hero)
    • More maps than what's already in the game
    • Missing parts of the story
    • Stuff that should've been in the game
    I use Mario Kart 8 and Evolve as examples when coming up with points.
    Thoughts?

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Destiny was a full game with The Below content. They cut the "DLC" out when Activision realized they wouldn't make the deadline.

Bad DLC for me is content that's already in the game at the release, but its locked until purchase of the add-on. Stuff that doesn't add anything extra to the game, or just plain breaks the otherwise good game.

Then there's lazy DLC, that adds cosmetic stuff and boosts for an insanely high price. Like CoD Elite, that locks the best stuff behind pay walls in an effort to make more money...

3. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    Good DLC is something that extends or enhances the experience, in my opinion. Skins are cool if they're cheap. Witcher 3 did it perfectly, all of their DLC was released periodically for FREE! That includes skins for characters, extra sidequest, hair customization, etc. And the actual expansion packs will be released later for about $20 a pop, I think. A lot of the time, games just offer too much DLC, it just feels overwhelming and lame. Battlefield, Call of Duty, even Mass Effect, are guilty of this.

4. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Mass Effect 3 DLC was SO CONFUSING. I didn't buy any of it. I heard it was decent and all but some of it wasn't worth playing through.

Call of Duty was almost strictly map packs that were overpriced. Stopped buying them after MW2 died out. Then stopped buying the franchise... Sigh. Plus, there was CoD Elite that was basically a membership to get extras just because you could afford them. That really turned me off of CoD and Battlefield.