Google's OnHub router

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

This thing has been something the wireless field has needed for a while. I want one, and I want it now. It's basically a replacement router, that does more and is easier to set up. For the average Joe that doesn't know much about setting routers up, that's pretty good. From this review on Gizmodo, it seems to be plug-n-play with minimal setup.

I've had nightmares about doing router setups, particularly with AT&T. They have those awful 2 in 1 combo routers, like the 503INV combo. If this is the future, then count me in. I'm all for this.

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Just looked at their site, Google is bringing out lots of useful things recently.

They also changed the logo recently and made Alphabet (https://abc.xyz/) the parent company of Google. The fact that they're using .xyz might promote growth and make some of those investments into .xyz domains worth it.

3. Darth_Marques

My only concern here is that they oversimplify everything. Sometimes you have to adjust a router for NAT or firewall settings. And from what I read, that isn't a user adjustable setting on it.

Yeah, I saw a nice post on Reddit explaining how Google was setting all that up. I can't explain it, but I'll find that post maybe.

4. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There's no way to do anything advanced on it, even if you're an advanced user? So basically it sounds like it's for the average person, nothing more.

5. Darth_Marques

From what I understand, yes. It's for the average person with no knowledge of networking whatsoever. May be just a prototype until they can get the advanced stuff working.