Great Console Debate

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Darth_Marques, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So, I figured by now everyone that owns a current gen system has their own little list of features that they prefer about their chosen console.

In short, I want your reasons for choosing one console over the other. Or, if you own both consoles, explain why you own both.

I could do a pro/con thread, but honestly it all comes down to personal preference.

My reason for choosing Xbox One:
    I am a legacy Xbox user. Owned every version of each console, minus the super rare consoles that developers got or special promotion. I owned the PS, PS2, PS3, but kept going back to Xbox. I like the feel of Xbox. Also, with Windows 10 being nothing but a rumor at launch, I liked the idea of being able to do 90% of the stuff I do on a console instead of PC. (Not that you can't on PlayStation, but again, personal preference.) I was also somewhat counting on Microsoft to release backwards compat at some point in the future. It didn't seem realistic that your old games were rendered useless, particularly in this day and age. The party chat for Xbox seems better, and the majority of my buddies were planning on/already on the Xbox One.

So go! Post your personal (metaphorical) motivations that moved you to continuing on with a console or swapping sides. We could go on and on about pros and cons and specs of each console, but really it all boils down to your own personal preferences. And really, that's all that matters. (Fanboys need not reply, this a civilized thread.)

2. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Normally end up with both consoles from each gen.

Started with the original Xbox first as friends recomended it to me but after a while bought the original playstation. When the next gen arrived 360 & PS2 I got the 360 first again as friends had moved to that console first. Same thing happened when the Xbox One & PS4 came out, moved to the Xbox One first, not got a PS4 as yet though although it is on the shopping list for some point in time.

3. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Everyone goes and debates between Xbox One and PS4 and between that debate I'd say Playstation 4 wins in terms of a "better" console but I'd rather buy a Xbox One. (I don't have either but I have played a lot on both with friends)

All together, I think the number one console is the Wii U in terms of fun. I had more fun on that with my friends then I have on a PS4 or Xbox One.
    Reason is Nintendo is made to just have fun and between Splatoon, Smash 4, Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land, it's awesome.

So here's what I think it comes down to between a actual debate.

In terms of an all around system for like movies and stuff along with games, Xbox One
    In terms of just playing games with some stream stuff, PS4
    Just wanna play with friends with the exception of online, Wii U

Xbox One is being updated fixing it's faults, especially now with Windows 10, so I'm gonna wait until I make a final decision between PS4 and One.

4. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Been with PS since the start. Gonna get the next Xbox, their support team is an absolute joke. How satisfied are people with their Xbox Ones?

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    From my friends experience, 50/50. But when it comes to games they seem pleased

6. Darth_Marques

Loving mine, but I'm biased lol. Windows 10 is in the Windows Insider queue, I got asked to participate but denied because new stuff like that is updated 2-4 times a week.

7. Luffy

Luffy Lieutenant

10%
    I game on PC but if I had to go with a console than I would go with Wii U because it doesnt share games with the PC like the other two consoles.

8. Darth_Marques

Not 100% true, actually. It does share retro games with at least the Xbox One, and I think the PS4. In fact, there are more retro games available for the Xbox One than the Wii U.

I can't remember where I read that, I'll dig up the link.

Edit: yep, here. This was current back in August, so it may not be true now. However, its still interesting that Xbox One had more games available.

9. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Yeah but an Xbox One don't have no Splatoon son:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Darth_Marques

Meh, Destiny... Fallout 4... Battlefront... Fallout 4... Did I mention Fallout 4?

Lol, but no really, I'd love to see Splatoon make it to Xbox.

11. Reaper

I'm lost in all the Fallout 4 hype

12. Darth_Marques

Have you played it? It's great IMO. A pure single player game... My only complaint is that the actual story is kind of short. I've played the game for 20+ hours so far, and done all but the last two main quests in less than 3 of those hours. I built some settlements and ran the side quests for the other 17+ hours.

13. Reaper

I don't even know what it is. I saw the trailer which looked like a circus. I really am not sure what Fallout is in general.

14. Darth_Marques

So its set in post-apocalyptic Earth. Each game focused on a different major US city, Fallout 4 focused on Boston. Each title has its own story line, not really connected. (A character from 3 shows up in 4, but that's the only time I can remember this happening.)

FO4 is about Vault 111. Each Vault is a different experiment to study humans. Vault 69, for example, had 999 women and 1 man. There was also an exact opposite of that Vault. Vault 111 was a cryogenic facility, so all the "inhabitants" were frozen when Boston was hit with an Atomic Bomb.

As far as the game, you run around visiting establishments and making new settlements for survivors. You can build defenses, resources, etc for each settlement by picking up junk in the Wasteland and breaking it down into essential components to craft new items in establishments.

Aside from building, looting is a vital part of survival. Like Skyrim, you typically do dungeon crawls. Clear an area, loot it, and move on, all in the quest for clearing the game and advancing side quests. Legendary enemies spawn randomly, can mutate which heals them, and drop way better loot. Not at all like the Destiny and its loot system, in that its pure RNG. Legendaries are guaranteed to drop from Legendary enemies.

The game is single player only, open world. You basically do whatever you want, whenever you want. Starting out, you almost immediately get a suit of Power Armor, pictured on the game case. Most of the Fallout series didn't immediately grant you a suit, and was about working up to own one. The difference being, you can find multiple suits of PA in the world (or steal them) and offer customization options like paint jobs, mixing different suits to make one you like, etc.

It's a fun game, I love it. Worth the hype. Like I posted elsewhere, the bugs and glitches aren't game-breaking so much as hilarious. Other than some crashes of the game, its not all that troublesome. Well, the frame rate does stutter at times though, so that's probably the biggest annoyance. Other than that, I give it a 9/10 overall.

15. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    No but honestly, this "Great console debate" thing pisses me off like you have no idea.

Why the fuck does anyone care what I play my games on? Honestly?
    I like to play board games on the table, you play them on the floor which is better?

It's really stupid, I don't care people discussing the different consoles and pointing out advantages and disadvantages, but I hate it when you try to convince someone that one is better than the other.

I'm sorry, I kinda made this really grim, and I get sorta worked up when it comes to this stuff, but it's just something to realize. And it's not only for this topic, it's for all topics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Darth_Marques

Oh I agree. By no means was I trying to persuade anyone to one console or another, more about seeing what other gamers valued more in terms of features, games, friend lists, and whatever other personal factors they wanted to include in that decision.

It's pointless to have a debate over what is better. Whether it's Android/iOS, Windows/Mac/Linux, Xbox/PS/Wii, whatever... At this point, it doesn't matter what you're a fan of. Its a matter of what you, as a gamer, see being important.

Like me, all my buddies own X1s. We all owned X360s too. The features of the console didn't matter at all comparatively. We all decided on X1s being our next console. My part also depended on what console would be easiest for my wife to navigate. She had used the 360 for years, thus knew her way around it. Swapping to a PS4 would've brought all kinds of hell on me, because she would've been relearning a UI to navigate, on top of taking care of two kids under 3.

My fanboy status mattered not, nor did the features, exclusives, etc. It hinged on two things: friends and my wife's ability to navigate. Technically a third, because my Christmas present was the X1 from my wife, but my initial decision of "I want the X1" was based purely on the two factors I had at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Please don't think that I was getting at you like that, I didn't mean it like that, I only wanted to kinda point it out.

19. Darth_Marques

Nah, not a thought about it. I actually wanted to highlight the good point you made and expand on it lol. Just point out that consoles are pretty much equal in features/capabilities and that its the IRL factors no one seems to talk about.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    For some reason, that reminded me of this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1