Has gaming ever made you feel depressed?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Trent, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    There's no denying that gaming is often used as an escape from a difficult reality, even to a harmful extent at times. I know I've been there. There would be times where all I'd want is to get out of my house and live; meet people, make memories, experience things. But I wouldn't know how, so I'd simply slip back into my safe place. I don't feel that way currently, but I'm curious if other people have had experiences like this.

There's also the matter of just shutting out the world entirely, which I'm guilty of doing a bit. I'm in a long distance relationship, and often times I'll just ignore her or put off talking to her and instead play games. It's pretty sad.

2. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    I know this is such a bummer kind of post xD i apologize, but i think its important to talk about things like this

3. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I dated a girl (high school sweetheart and all) for 4 years. We broke up a few months after she graduated high school, and left me devastated. I won't go into details, but I submerged myself in gaming for 2 months. Met some pretty awesome people, and connected with guys in my hometown that I never hung out with.

Gaming was the escape I needed, and turned out to be what helped me get over her. The friends I made online became real world buddies that made a difference. It's been 5 years or so since then, and gaming is my outlet still. I'm still close to all those guys, one of which I even call a brother.

I started out depressed, gradually becoming happier. What I thought to be the worst part of my life was actually the best thing that happened to me up to that point. I was a complete loner honestly. Now, I'm that guy that is always there. Whether it's gaming, life hardships, or just hanging out, I'm the guy my friends call. And if it wasn't for gaming, it may not have happened.

As far as your relationship goes... Long distance is hard man. Especially at 17(?) it shouldn't be a focal point. That's where I messed up. I'd bury myself in gaming before the break up, and ignore her. It wasn't that I didn't want to see her, but I was always scared of having a fight with her. (After 4 years, you realize how little life changes at 17-18 years old. This caused a lot of friction between us, and often times ended with one of us walking out. It wasn't healthy, and I was depressed without knowing it.)

I can understand wanting to make it work, I know I believed I could. And that was without the long distance part. It was such a drain physically and emotionally, I was depressed and didn't know it. Shut out my family, didn't have friends, and didn't participate in real world activities. I tricked myself into believing I was happy lol.

After the breakup, I lost myself in gaming. Attended Modern Warfare 2 tournaments, and won a few. Played religiously, but never tried MLG. Ah, those were good days.

Looking back, it was great. Gaming changed a lot of my outlooks on life, and gave me connections I didn't have before. (Sorry about repeating stuff, on mobile and hard to concentrate lol.)

TL;DR Gaming is a lot things for me. It's brought me out of personal lows, and put me into personal highs. It's an outlet, and always will be.

4. Darth_Marques

Shit, sorry for the wall of text lol.

5. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    That's great that it's had such a positive effect on your life! Gaming has affected me too, in many positive ways but not exactly to the extent of "meeting new people". For the longest time I never really had money to pay for access to multiplayer so gaming has been more of a lonely, albeit enjoyable and passionate interest of mine. I don't even know what my motivation to make this thread was, to be honest. I'm not feeling down on gaming at all, although I am finding it hard to enjoy gaming as much as I used to for some reason. Maybe the games I'm playing right now just aren't clicking the way others have. Tomb Raider is coming close, but it's not quite there. Anyway, about my relationship, I distract myself not to avoid argument (we never argue) but mostly because long distance is so hard and my feelings about the situation are complicated and I find it much easier to drown out the noise and relax then amplify the noise by talking to the person. Like I said, it's complicated. However, this isn't exactly the place for me to get all "in touch with my emotions" xD I'm kind of embarrassed, I hope people don't think I'm being a melodramatic loser. I swear I'm a goofball in real life! I can be fun!

Anyway, maybe what I need is a good multiplayer game, with a good community and with actual people that actually care about having a good time and not just winning. Seems like too much to ask, honestly. But if anyone knows of a game like that, do not hesitate to tell me about it.

6. Darth_Marques

Gaming isn't what it used to be. DLC is treated as a must have, even though a lot of it is cosmetic. Sometimes it adds missions, or extra stuff but it makes it hard to enjoy the game.

I started with Destiny last year, and played mostly with my friends. Up until a few months ago, when I found reddits r/fireteams and another site called the100.io

Both are great communities, and I've met 10 or so people there that I still play with. Mostly Sherpas, and know their stuff so its a good group to hang out with. There are some bad eggs of course, but they're usually obvious.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Boomer

Boomer Lieutenant Active Member

10%
    I've been exactly where you've been. I'm kind of in that place right now, honestly. Games have always been a outlet for me. They went from being fun on rainy day, to escaping reality when my mother and my step father divorced. We were really bad off, money wise. No running water, no in-door plumbing. We'd sleep under our laundry in the winter to fight off the cold. After that period, I was worried about more than a kid my age should. The thought of the water bill and the electric bill would keep me up at night. Games were the only thing that let me escape my busy worried mind. Now, I think I do it out of habit. My wife is awesome, she understands. She's a mental health professional, so she gets why the behavior is there. But I feel guilty. I feel selfish.

8. Darth_Marques

Feel selfish for escaping for a short time? Or for spending some money on one of your hobbies? There's nothing to feel guilty about, unless it consumes you entirely. A few hours here and there are acceptable honestly.

9. Boomer

10%
    I let it consume almost all of my free time. Now granted, I still do the things around my home that need done. I keep a very tidy house. I love yard work. But when my responsibilities are done, I like to game. I wish it was just a couple hours here and there, but it's not. When I'm not playing, I'm thinking about playing. I'm moody too.

10. Darth_Marques

Yeah, I get moody as well. Not related to gaming, so much as its a side effect of my smoking habits. (Bleh) Anyhow, I used to play 3-4 hours a day every day. Now, its less than an hour a night during the week. Weekends, I play after the kids go to bed, and usually get about 6 hours in over 2 nights.

Since I started that, my wife hasn't so much as complained about me playing... But I get where you're coming from, been there.

11. EliteGamer123

EliteGamer123 Lieutenant

10%
    For me, gaming relieves depression. It makes me feel happy:)

12. Boomer

10%
    I'm going to get back to this ^^^ state of mind ASAP. :)

13. Sam

Sam Lieutenant

70%
    I wouldn't say a game has ever made me depressed, but I did come across a game which made me fucking suicidal. I Wanna Be The Boshy will make you go insane, extremely aggravating due to the complex and RNG levels.

FIFA was another game which made me frustrated at times, years ago I used to be a competitive console player, and I owned FIFA Club which was ranked within the top #10 in the EU. It would frustrate me that players on my team would disconnect which automatically makes you lose (Shit EA servers), I have extreme OCD when it comes to stats, so losing a game for nothing pissed me off to say the least.

14. Darth_Marques

EA is just terrible all around and really made me depressed when I played any of their games. I stay away from them now though.