Help please-Sudden FPS drop on all games

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nova, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I've been playing on my computer for a little while now, and games have been working pretty well.
    But quite literally, one day it all turned to crap, and I can't get more than 20-30 FPS on a single game. I've been dealing with it for about a month and I just can't take it anymore, I've given up.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Here is the info I know:
    • Toshiba Satellite Radius
    • Core i7 Intel
    • 12 GB RAM
    • About a year old
    Thanks

2. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    Okay so,

What GPU do you have?

Have you been changing any settings which would cap your frame rate?

Have you changed your graphics settings in game to higher settings? (Global settings in GPU control panel also)

Need more info...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Where can I find that?
    I don't think so, the only settings I tried changing had to do with the fan but I put them back.
    I have been making them lower and higher a lot, but mostly lower now because I'm trying to improve FPS. I've also disabled steam overlay it's become so bad.

4. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Most likely its an integrated job, but right-click on Computer then select Properties. It should display a lot more internal information. You can also do a search for "Device Manager" in the Start Menu or Metro (depending on version of Windows) and look for it under the correct heading. I can't remember the name, but either "Display" or something to that effect.

If your laptop updated any time in the past ~9 months, its most likely out-of-date drivers for the GPU. Look on Toshiba's website for your model's gfx/video drivers.

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Updated to Windows 10. That count?

6. Darth_Marques

Yep. In my experience, drivers don't get updated when the OS does. Try that and see if Toshiba has updated drivers. They may have a tool that can detect the hardware and then update the drivers automatically. I know Dell does, or used to anyway, and its kept my Inspiron 1525 (almost 7 years old now!) running fairly well. Though, I don't attempt gaming on it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    Did you find out what GPU your system is using? Just type dxdiag in search then press enter and click display once its loaded and it will show you your GPU and driver information you will need.

Just to clarify, this issue only happened when you upgraded, right?

8. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Nope, but I had a problem with my computer before because it wasn't updated, and my computer hasn't automatically upgraded in a while so I updated it manually and I'm checking if it's working right now.

9. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    nope didn't work

10. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    But it was working even after the Windows 10 update

11. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Had to restore computer because Geek Squad said that'll fix it. Now running Windows 8 AND GUESS WHAT: STILL NO WORK.
    Any help is still appreciated.

12. Darth_Marques

Have you made any other changes to it? Install any resource hog programs? Something I had to remove in the past was Rainmeter. Or even the bloatware virus protection software, like McAfee or Norton. You could just disable it while gaming, of course. I'm not sure what else could be wrong though.

I mean, 12 gigs of RAM is plenty. The laptop isn't that old, so I doubt the processor is going bad. There's some online diagnostic tools that can be used to diagnose any faulty hardware. I'll dig up a few links, been a while since I've used any of them.

Edit: try this, or this. What's the model number for you laptop?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  13. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What kinds of games are you trying?

14. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I believe this is it: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Convertible-Tablet-UltraBook-Touchscreen/dp/B00QD530AI
    Anything:CS, Civ V, Rocket League.... It used to work so I know my computer can handle it.

15. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Question: Computer is noticeably a lot slower, and when I factory reset it I asked for the previous settings of my account to be transferred. Would this affect it in any way?

16. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I had Task Manager opened and I was looking online at Reddit and stuff and all of a sudden my CPU went from around to 8% to mid 50% in less than 10 seconds. Ughhh.....

17. Darth_Marques

It could have, but I seriously doubt it. I'd bet that you've got some bad or faulty RAM sticks. Whether it's a factory problem or not, I've got no idea. I'll look at the link above and see what I can find on it though, as far as quality of hardware and any common hardware issues.

May have missed it, but what's the age on this laptop? If its still under warranty, you'd be better off sending it in and having Toshiba evaluate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Thanks. I also disabled Steam at startup to see if that'd work. And It's a little over a year. I will try to send it in.

19. Darth_Marques

If you've got bad RAM, it'll actually bog down the system. It tries to use the bad bit still, instead of ignoring it so it's either storing partial information or no information at all.

If you're comfortable with exposing the guts, do the below. Otherwise, don't touch it lol. Also, this depends on the size of the RAM sticks being used. I'll know more once I get home.
    Unfortunately, there's no way to tell exactly which one is faulty (easily anyway) so try removing a stick. If it persists, replace the removed one, then remove the next one. Repeat until it either improves or you run out of sticks to remove. Not the best method, but its worked for me in the past lol. Obviously, this'll take a while because you'll have to shut down, remove a stick, boot up, start a game, test for a few seconds to see results, then shutdown and start over.

20. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I don't really feel all that comfortable doing that, so I'll ask my parents if we can just send it in. Don't go crazy trying to fix it, but I really appreciate the help.