Help with pc peformance

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Robert Jernigan, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Robert Jernigan

Robert Jernigan Lieutenant

10%
    hello every one I have a problem I am getting a laptop for chrismas with the following specs
    1.APU A8-5545M Quad-Core 1.7 ghz but can turbo to 2.7ghz
    2.AMD mobility 8510G graphics (I think itergrated but not sure?)
    3.8gigs of ram ddr3
    and its a hp laptop with beats

I would like to know if I can run minecraft, Pcsx2 (ps2 emulator), and ppsspp (psp emulator) also any call of duty game please comment

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft isn't a very intensive game, so you should be able to run that easily at high frame rates. I don't imagine PS2 and PSP emulators would be too intensive, either. As for Call of Duty games, I'm not too sure how well COD games will play on it. I'm sure you can play them, but you may not be getting amazing FPS on that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Jernigan

10%
    Hey Reaper thanks for your reply but do you know what my fps would be around in minecraft and can I run borderlands on lowest settings? I don't care about graphics just performance

4. Robert Jernigan

10%
    Hey can you read my other comment

5. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft, it'd probably be above 50, so more than enough for the common human eye to actually see. I'm not sure about Borderlands, maybe about 25-30 avg?

6. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Borderlands 2 is pretty big. It runs at a bare minimum on the PS Vita. I have it on my laptop and it works fine, but I can't tell you the specs, as I don't know em.
    I say, if your putting the money in for a computer for gaming, buy a console instead. An Xbox One has all the games your talking about. Consoles aren't cheap, but they're cheaper than most computers.

7. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

If @Robert Jernigan already owns all of some of those, they'd have to be repurchased for consoles though. Minecraft alone is $20, and the other games range from $20 to $60+. Depending on where he gets them from of course.

That setup will work fine for Minecraft, and probably most, if not all, emulators. The processor worries me, being slowed than what a lot of CoD games run best on. Even with it overclocked to 2.7. I'd worry about it overheating or otherwise shortening the life expectancy of the CPU.

You might be able to play some AAA titles, but graphicly it'll be limited. The graphics card is integrated, so without gutting the laptop you'll be stuck with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robert Jernigan

10%
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback and I don't really care about the graphic quality of any game I just want to play the game even if theres a little lag (btw consoles can lag a lot more) so I can run minecraft I figured out from all of you just want to know if I can run borderlands and if I can how many fps?

9. Darth_Marques

Probably the only thing you'll be lacking is processor power. But that's specifically for the first Borderlands game, so anything newer and you'll be hurting.

FPS wise... Wouldn't hurt to expect anywhere from 15 to 40 FPS, give or take, depending on graphic settings. In congested areas or areas with lots of action, it may suffer more. Possible drops under 10 FPS.

10. Robert Jernigan

10%
    on minimum setting with low quality mods how many fps?

11. Robert Jernigan

10%
    And I have a $400 laptop fan so im not worried about overclocking it to 2.7ghz

12. Robert Jernigan

10%
    And I have a $400 laptop fan so im not worried about overclocking it to 2.7ghz

13. Darth_Marques

Hard to say without having actually tried it myself. Since it looks like you're getting it, try it out with Borderlands first. See what settings it'll run well/decently and go from there.

14. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    I'm not sure if you have already bought a laptop for gaming but if you haven't yet then I strongly suggest you buy a console if you're not too bothered about visuals and FPS is your priority, as you are able to play any game on console without a worry about compatibility issues and very low FPS, with optimisation already sorted for you on consoles.

Admittedly the downside to consoles are prices in games are usually higher then PC games and paying for online use.

You could build a decent gaming rig for like $400-$500 and build it yourself, shopping online (use pcpartpicker for best price's around the net and compatibility) or buy second hand parts. Then you will be able to run games like COD at medium settings with above average FPS, obviously this depends on the hardware but I'm sure there are plenty of pre build computers on pcpartpicker for you to choose from within your price range and you know what you will get performance wise.

That's just my opinion though, if you're set on a laptop then the AMD APU range is a decent choice for playing games in medium-high settings. (AMD A10 for example) but of course this depends on the game but this is generally speaking.