How much money do you spend on games per month?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Trent, Jun 28, 2015.

How much do you spend on games per month?

1. $20-40

50.0%
  2. $60-80

25.0%
  3. $100-120

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $5-10 (Smart shopper)

25.0%
  5. People BUY games? (Obvious pirate is obvious)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    I've just gotten my first job and I've been struggling with budgetary restraints. At this point, I've probably spent about $100 or more on gaming alone. Obviously this might be a bit much. How much do you guys spend?

2. Boomer

Boomer Lieutenant Active Member

10%
    I'm at about 15 dollars a month so far. I just got a PS4 and am branching back into console gaming. When I had my Xbox 360, I was at about 60 dollars a week.

3. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Let's see... I recently spent $15 on a couple games. So that makes... $15 for the year lol. It's usually like 20-30 a month, but I've cut way back recently. Had too many games to play, and no time to play them.

4. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    Thats smart. I feel like I'm going to be in that situation if I don't watch it. Luckily though, I've gotten to the point now where I'm currently not dying to buy any games. I'm pretty satisfied (for now lol). Other games I might be interested in buying down the road are GTA 5 for Xbox One, Far Cry 4, and Arkham Knight when it gets cheaper.

5. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Same as Darth, too many games to play and not enough time to play them. I just buy any nice ones really, and I'm more of a multiplayer guy so they last longer.

6. Darth_Marques

This. I've limited my collection to games that have decent multiplayer matches. I can't bring myself to buy a game that doesn't include multiplayer. Certain games aside, like Assassins Creed games, that I got for free are the only exception. If the game doesn't have an initial replay value to keep me interested for at least 4 months, I don't buy it. Tomb Raider was another exception, because memories and I'd heard it was a great game. Which it was.

Side note: The next AC title won't have multiplayer at all. Ubisoft is going back to what made AC so successful, after the fiasco that Unity turned out to be. (I own it, but never played it. Came with my X1, never downloaded because its 40 gigs of wasted memory IMO.)

The biggest part of budgeting myself gamewise was learning to sift through all the hype surrounding games. I stopped pre-ordering, and now I wait 2-3 months before I pick up a new game. Paying attention to reviews, DLC extras, and everything related to it. Then it was looking at the last few games the developer released, and seeing how they played (lots of YouTube searching) to see what it looked like.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  7. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    If i'm buying a new game I try and limit it to one a month, doesn't work very often though.

8. LunarWo1f

LunarWo1f Lieutenant

80%
    More recently ive spent alot more money then I should be. Ive recently bought a Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collectors Set which was about $100 and last month I bought Fall Out 4 and Fall Out New Vegas so I think i've spent my limit for the year.

9. Darth_Marques

That's not that bad really, several of my buddies have dropped over $500 this month. Between Steam, Xbox Live, and GameStop.

This thread should've been titled "How much do you spend on gaming each month" though. My expenditures for March were waaaaay high. Bought an X1, Dying Light, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, and a handful of other items. Totaled well over $700. (I counted Xbox Live sub, internet bill, and accessory purchases as well.)

10. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    Wasn't this thread titled "How much money do you spend on games per month"? xD

Anyway, on the note of only spending money on games with lots of replay value and lasting appeal, that's how I've been for as long as I can remember. However, that mindset has stopped me from spending money on shorter, unique experiences like Limbo, and I was even unsure about buying the Tomb Raider reboot recently. However, I've learned that those smaller experiences can be really worth experiencing. As long as the price tag isn't above $30 that is. I don't regret buying Tomb Raider at all, it's been an epic experience.

11. Darth_Marques

Still the same title, lol. And I typically make exceptions concerning games like Tomb Raider. I waited almost a year before buying it, and when I did it was on sale for $15.

It's a great game, but my issue is that the Digital edition can't be played offline. (If you have sharing set up...) Something I was unhappy to discover this past week.

12. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    $5-10

Know Your Role loves sales.