How to: Make iPhone Ring Tones.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Boomer, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Boomer

Boomer Lieutenant Active Member

10%
    If you're an Apple user and you're tired of BUYING ring tones, I've got the solution for you. A step by step guide on creating your own ringtones. Enjoy!

How to make your own ringtones using iTunes.

- Equipment needed: iPhone, computer, itunes installed on the computer, your syncing/charging cable and a song in your heart.:)

- Open iTunes.
    - Listen to the desired song. You can only create a 30 second long ring tone.
    - when hear the section you want to turn into a ringtone, write down the start time and the end time for that segment. Remember it MUST be 30 seconds or shorter.

- Right click on the song.
    - click get info.
    - click options.
    - Enter the start time in the start box and the end time for the segment in the end box.
    - click ok.

- Now right click the song in the My Music section of itunes and this time click create AAC version.
    - You will see another entry for the exact same song populate below it.
    - Right click on the duplicate entry and click Show in windows exlplorer.

- A window will pull up showing the MP3 file we're turning into a ringtone.
    - Right click on the file and click rename.
    - change the file extension (The file extension looks like .mp4) .mr4
    - press enter and click continue on the prompt that says the file may be unstable.

- click drag and drop the file into itunes.
    - right click on the "duplicate" of the song and delete it from My Music.
    - right click on the original file and change the start and stop times back to their default. (failure to do this will result in the file not playing the entire song when attempting to listen to it.)

- now, plug in your iphone and click on the icon once it appears.
    - click tones on the left hand side of itunes.
    - click sync ring tones, click selected tones and you should see it in there.
    - just click in the box next to the tone, or just sync all tones. Then click apply.
    - Done! Now you can make all of your own ringtones!!!

- You can also do this with voice memos.

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Good tut, I forgot you could do this. IIRC, you can also change 30 second clips in non-MP4 format to MP4 by changing the file extension.

Also, is Zedge not a thing on iTunes? I thought it had made its way over to iOS finally.

I've got like 700+ ringtones saved somewhere on my PC I think. I'll check and upload it, all formatted for iOS.

3. Boomer

Boomer Lieutenant Active Member

10%
    Zedge? I've never heard of it myself.

4. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I use it on Android, and users submit various ringtones, notification sounds, wallpapers, etc for your phone. Really nice to have, and Android has cruddy stock tones. Search for it in the iTunes store if you want, I can't remember if it's there or not.