I work in Tech Support...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Boomer, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boomer

Boomer Lieutenant Active Member

10%
    I like what I do. I get to work from home. My dog hangs out with me all day. But MAN. I have SEEN things!!!

I'm working with a woman right now. Still running XP and her computer has 2 USB ports.......IN THE BACK!!!

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

95% of he schools in my area still run XP. My grandmother still has a PC running XP that's ~10 years old. Place I work at has XP operating systems as well, and that sucks. (1.5 ghz processor, 1 gig RAM. Slooooooow.) I've been doing tech support for free since high school, as the school technicians couldn't fix 90% of the problems. Obviously, that's less now, and limited to family support as I've been out of school for 6 years.

My horror stories mostly stem from Limewire downloads, and the big "download" buttons that are obvious junkware to those familiar with computers lol. I'm interested in hearing some if you've got a top 5.

Side note: totally jelly that you work tech support. There isn't a big demand for it in my area, and if I could profitably work that then I would.

3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The little monitor on the bus that shows the next stop runs on Windows XP ;) The "computer" restarts every 3 hours.

It was a revolutionary OS for its time, but now it's ancient lol.

4. Darth_Marques

Yeah, then Vista had to be released. It was all better than Windows 97 to 2000 but so hard to work on. XP is still getting updates, even after its officially unsupported now. When Windows 8 came out, I think XP was still the most used OS (and still might be, I wouldn't be surprised.)

5. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Windows 7 was excellent, as was Windows XP. Windows 8 is utter trash. Vista was utter trash. They go in a cycle, good, bad, good, bad, good bad, [..].

6. Darth_Marques

Yeah, I call it the Microsoft Tick Tock schedule. You can always count on the schedule to predict the OS quality.