In Current News: My XB1 controller up and died on me.

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Trent, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    So I splurged on the big sale that Xbox was having last week, and got lots of really great games! I was playing Telltale's The Walking Dead when the unexplainable happened...

It was 10pm, maybe 9, I dunno (I let time go lightly with games) anyway, I was really enjoying The Walking Dead. Now for some context, I use the stereo headset adapter with my controller so I can use headphones, because I can assume that my parents would probably be concerned by the sounds of me murdering everything and the dropping of atomic f-bombs resonating from my room 24/7. The adaptor has been giving me issues for a while though. The game audio often has a tendency to cut out for brief moments (sometimes completely, requiring me to unplug the adaptor and plug it back in) this is often extremely distracting when I'm trying to enjoy my game. So, in the game I was talking to one of my fellow survivors about all the awful occurrences that had been going down, and she had asked me a pretty simple question, and I was observing my response options when A ZOMBIE CAME OUTTA NOWHERE and the audio cut out completely and I barely managed to pause the game and go to the home screen before it gnawed my face off. So, as I've grown accustomed to doing, I unplugged the adaptor and plugged it back in. BUT. The audio still wasn't coming through! And to make matters even worse, the buttons weren't reading my input either! Did restarting the console work? Nope. Changing the controller's batteries? Nope. And it wasn't my headphones either, as I tested them with my iPod and they sounded fantastic as usual. So, I turned to Xbox support. Thanks to my warranty, I was able to get them to agree to give me free replacements for both the adaptor and the controller. Still cost me about 12 bucks to ship my defective accessories, but that's quite the hefty discount considering how much it would cost to have to buy new ones.

So that's what's happened to me the past couple days, hopefully this wasn't way too long xD Have you guys ever had any strange situations like this?

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I wouldn't have messed with support, solely on the fact that Gen 1 controllers are notorious for crapping out in as little as 6 months. The bumpers are particularly finicky, and they haven't released gen 2 controllers yet (the second fixed batch) to my knowledge.

I have something happen where my button presses are recognized at a distant time in the future. Like, press home button, wait, give up, press again. In the middle of activity, 5 minutes after second button press, first press registers finally. Then I have to get back to where I was. And if I spammed the Xbox button? It's shut off completely on me a few times lol.

3. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    Ah crap, you're right. It would've been great if I would've been able to get the new gen of controller they're releasing...oh well I guess.

4. Trent

Trent Lieutenant

70%
    Wait, but why do you think I shouldn't have messed with support?

5. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

That's just me, honestly. I've dealt with them over the 360. Had a week old console RROD on me, and was told to send it in. It'd take 2 weeks after they got it, then shipped back. They were talking about a month of me having no console lol. Said screw that, voided my warranty and fixed it myself. Took a day, and $20 then done.