Kinda want a PS Vita.... should I?

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Nova, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    So I've been debating about getting a PS Vita for a while. I saved enough for it but kinda on the fence about getting it. I like the whole 'console experience on the go" part but I wanted to check in with your thoughts before I get that or a MTG 2015 Core Set.

Here's what I'd play:
    • Dungeon Defenders ;)
    • Borderlands 2
    • COD: Declassified
    • Killzone
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Batman
    So yeah. Thanks!

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do you have a PS4 by any chance already? The last portable console I had was the PSP, which was amazing. The PS Vita is significantly improved but I'm not feeling it personally. I think if you had a PS4 (and there's the remote play feature then) it'd be worth it, for sure. Not sure what games there are without.

3. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    No, I don't have a PS4

4. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm not too sure then. When choosing a console my general advice is usually to see what your friends play and if you have the games you want on it. I'd say that applies here too. If you want to play multiplayer, perhaps make sure your friends have a PS Vita as well. Also make sure it has the games you want to play, and that they work well. That's the key. Other than that, try it out in store and make sure you like it. Buy it from a store with a 30 day money back guarantee too just in case. With all of that done, no harm in trying it out.

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Thanks, but it's a lot of money and I already have a N3DS, so I'll just buy a MTG 2015 Core Set and hope I get Garruk, the Apex Predator

6. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Thanks for the help!!

7. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

8. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    [​IMG]

9. Darth_Marques

[​IMG]
    If you don't know what Supernatural is... I must educate you.

10. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Darth_Marques

12. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    [​IMG]

13. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Lieutenant

70%
    When I had a PSP the novelty wore off pretty quickly. I rarely used it as I already had a games console and did not bring it with me outdoors, did not see the point in gaming outdoors anyway, seems unsociable really unless you were to travel.

The closest thing to gaming on the go for me these days is games on my android phone, there are some awesome console quality games on android which are next to nothing to buy, sometimes free!

This is just my opinion though :)

14. Darth_Marques

Depending on age, gaming on the go is kind of frowned upon. It's considered being unsociable because you get easily bored. I honestly don't game on the go any more, because I'm usually driving and/or sleeping. Sleep is hard to come by after starting a family lol. (No regrets though, best decision of my life.)

15. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I forgot to update this:

I got a PS Vita used with 3 games: Big Little Planet, Call of Duty and Borderlands 2.

Here is what I thought:
    Call of Duty was plagued by the name, because it's not really a COD game but is fun. But besides being fun, it's a pretty poorly designed game. It's not so bad it's fun, but it's not fun because it was put together well. The game is unbalanced too, so I really only play the multiplayer but I can't really get going for more than 3 games in a row.

Big Little Planet was fun, until it wasn't. Because it literally made me do the same things over and over.
    And over.
    And over.
    They'd add something new in each world, but it's kinda pushed aside with all the repetitiveness The mini games were alright, but not something I'd buy the game just for.

And then Borderlands 2. I got a story for you.
    This port is actually pretty good. Besides the FPS being a bit lower and the slight delay, it's tons of fun. I was lucky enough to find a legendary weapon as one of the first weapons I found, and I had a great inventory. So I'm playing and having a ton of fun, and then my game freezes.
    I didn't save, but I didn't really mind because, y'know, it was fun.

But then I realize the game froze while auto-saving. And I wait 10 minutes to see if anything happens before giving up and force quitting the game. This happened to me before in Skylanders a long time ago, and I knew all my files were going to be gone.

Oh I wish my files were gone.
    I kid you not this happened:

I try loading the game, but I can't, because my files are corrupted.
    So I troubleshoot the game, and it says try updating it, but I can't, because my files are corrupted.
    So I troubleshoot again and it says to delete than reinstall the game, but I can't, because my files are corrupted.

So I'm stuck with this unplayable game taking up 8/9 GB I have on this thing just there. The game's icon also just turned white. I've tried turning it off and everything. Nope, just a fricking white circle I have on the home screen that contains 8 damn gigabytes.

Anyway, I don't really feel like spending anymore money on this thing, because not only do my games not really work well, the device itself has a lot of bugs.
    So I try out some games my library lets you rent, and I picked up Sony Playstation All Stars Battle Royayle. I really like Smash Bros so I thought I might like this knowing it was a copy. But nope, everything that made Smash fun that they were trying to copy they kinda threw away. And I know it's not fair to compare games like that but it as clearly based off eachother, so in this case I'll sorta make an exception.

So yeah. I'm just happy I bought it used for a little less than half the price. Cause I'm probably never going to touch it again. I really wanted to like it. But in reality, it just isn't good.

If you want a handheld, by a 3DS. That thing as some real hardcore stuff on there, like Monster Hunter. Oh, and Animal Crossing too. I like Animal Crossing.

16. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Oh, and I went over my friend's house and she made me watch the first 3 episodes. It was good.

17. Darth_Marques

Like, Season One episodes? Or Season 10/11 episodes? Big difference, but if you wanna get invested (seasons 1-10 are on Netflix) set aside like 3-6 weeks lol. Lots to learn, and lots to understand. I'm actually kind of upset disappointed with Season 11 because I predicted what's happening now when the 5th episode came out a few weeks ago.

18. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Season 1

19. Darth_Marques

Perfect, it gets way better in Season 3 or 4.