May the 4th (Star Wars Steam Sale!)

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Darth_Marques, May 5, 2016.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Anyone pick up any good deals? I picked up 5 games for $4.99 an hour or so ago. I got some classic SW titles.

Dark Forces (think Doom but SW themed)
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (there's a Jedi Academy II that wasn't included... :( )
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (this one I played on the GameCube or N64, can't remember)

I hadn't played either Dark Forces games, but it's not surprising considering they require a DOS emulator to run. (Even through Steam, I'm having some difficulties with the game recognizing keyboard inputs.) Haven't tried DFII but it's currently downloading. (If you loved Doom then you'll quickly pick up the first game.)

All five games total up to less than 5 GB total, and the smallest is Dark Forces at 75 MB. Seriously, DF is tiny. I'm not 100% sure on what the Steam version includes, but there has to be some changes to control recognition. And I'm sure I could find some mods for it in the future, should I play it more than an hour or two.

The addicting part of the DF games is that it's basically a mindless FPS game. Shoot things, figure out where the keys are, and somehow advance without any (usually) prompts whatsoever. I love the challenge, not having a modern HUD or GUI, plus no simplified instructions, waypoints, checkpoints, or other modern conveniences. (I love em but the technical difficulty that the lack of those features brings is so much fun! )