Microsoft Hololens are pretty awesome, espically for gaming now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nova, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    So E3 showed some good stuff, bad stuff, and pretty awesome stuff.
    So Microsoft also showed off their Hololens. If you don't know what Hololens are, first off, your missing a huge leap in the advancement of technology. Also, your not up to a date with a tech a news :cool:

First, here are hololens:

Now, Microsoft owns the rights to a lot of stuff, and a lot of their effort goes into gaming. I mean, they make the freakin Xbox consoles.

Anyway, not too long ago, they bought the rights to Mojang, therefore owning the rights to Minecraft. They showed off Minecraft with their Hololens at E3. Here's the video:

2. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I'll update this thread every once in a while. Here is Halo with them fancy google glass goggles:
    [​IMG]

More Minecraft for 8 year old "youtubers" :
    [​IMG]

3. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

The possibilities are pretty amazing, and Minecraft is just the beginning. The only thing lacking, from what I've read, are sensations that don't translate visually. Also, the lack of a nose on the display seems to disorient people to the extent of motion sickness. Can't remember where I read that, but they're adding in virtual noses to compensate. Under test conditions, the virtual nose improved the experience and eliminated the motion sickness. Interesting stuff, with unexpected problems and solutions lol.

4. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I thought the field of view was a bigger problem

5. Darth_Marques

Hadn't read that, just saw the nose issue lol. It may be. Games with broad FOV seem to mess with me, though. Can't imagine that on my face.

6. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    It could very well be both. Microsoft isn't one to be unfamiliar with issues they just left in their products, and the Xbox One is a good example of that. the Hololens are pretty neat but I don't think Microsoft will nessacrily have the leading brand in the future

7. Darth_Marques

Definitely not, it's way too early for that. This stuff is still in its infancy lol. It'll take a while, though I'd love to get my hands on a set for my games. You know it'll be compatible with Xbox games, Halo being used in that video earlier. Sooooooooooooo excited.

8. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Well.......

9. Darth_Marques

Wow. I can dig it.

10. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%

11. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This is pretty amazing. Microsoft went ahead and developed something innovative and honestly revolutionary. This is really the way forward (minus the bulky glasses).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...-revolutionary-device-with-one-major-problem/

There's one problem described there really, and other than that I can't see someone using these for anything other than work or just to play around with, because of the design and size. I'm not sure what they can do about that, but if it looked more like real life glasses from a design perspective it'd be better to wear outside or more for everyday use. I think right now they have a concept, but not a realistic use for it (see what I did there... realistic?)

12. Darth_Marques

Definitely. With further advancements, I can see it getting used for more things. Combine it with robots? Or UAV's? For now, its a limited device with limited uses but...with time who knows?

13. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm afraid this is going to turn into a battle of who is the most advanced company and who can make the most revolutionary stuff between Google, Apple and Microsoft. It might just end badly.

14. Darth_Marques

The NeverEnding Tech War