Server Move

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Reaper, May 9, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We're moving from our current host (DigitalOcean) to another one. The reason varies, but notably an improvement in performance and response times.

[​IMG]

Basically it should be faster for you. All around a better forum, for just a bit more than we're currently paying.

You should receive little downtime. Once we're all ready on the new server, we'll move data over. There will be a change of what server gamingforums.net goes to - with that in mind, it may be up to an hour for you to be at the new server. This will happen in a few hours. Sorry for the short notice, but downtime should be minimal.

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Server changes... bleh. Lol, good luck with the changes. Don't break anything this time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Server move successful, nothing broken :)

Hopefully a performance increase is noticeable. It's definitely a lot harder and cluttered to manage in the background lol. Gravatar support has also been removed, on another note. The reason is that it significantly decreases page load speed. Existing Gravatar avatars will stay, but I recommend you upload your avatar to Gaming Forums directly, I'm not sure how long we'll offer support for existing avatars.

4. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Gravatars were cool at first, but now it just seems to hamper sites. I notice that on most sites still using them, the avatars are the last thing to load.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    I tend to switch gravatar off these days, always seems to load slow.

• Agree Agree x 1