Steam opens up Pre-orders for Steam Gear

Discussion in 'Platforms and Consoles' started by Darth_Marques, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

You can now pre-order the various Steam gaming things.

Steam Controller: touchpad instead of analog sticks, and regular buttons/triggers. Going for $50.

Steam Link: set top box like a Roku/Apple TV. Instead of streaming TV, it streams games on your gaming rig to a TV across the house. Has 4 (read: FOUR) WiFi antennas to help with those common streaming issues. $50

Alienware Steam Machine: a complete gaming rig, minus mouse and keyboard combo. Powerful, beautiful and running Steam's OS based off of Linux. Also support HDMI input, so you can hook up existing media to it and route it through your PC. $450+

Syber Steam Machine (by CyberPowerPC): a pricier version of the Alienware above, but can upgraded as games require it. Swapping graphics cards, RAM, etc is supported. Its another full blown PC running SteamOS. It doesn't come with a Steam Controller either, but seems a fair trade-off for future upgrade options. $500+

Early adopters can play as soon as October 16th this year, and anyone else not pre-ordering has to wait until these items hit shelves (GameStop, EB Games, etc) November 10th.

Personally, I'm not into this whole idea yet, and would rather build a rig for myself. It'd run $800-$1000 but it'd be worth it. Thoughts?

2. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I'm actually considering buying the link, to improve the graphics.
    The controller I might get, but then again only for a few games

3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Surprising they haven't compiled a page with how to pre-order (unless I'm missing it). It's on vendor sites, like the Alienware Steam computer is on Alienware's site.

4. Darth_Marques

It's on the front page of the Steam app though...

5. Reaper

Ouch, I missed this: http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/

No other blog post for the hardware has a link to it either.

6. Darth_Marques

Huh, strange. This is something they've been wanting to unveil for a while. Figured they maximize advertising for it.

7. Reaper

Yeah, there was no link in this post so I googled steam gear, steam gear pre-order, steam gadgets, didn't search for steam hardware though but nobody searches that if they're trying to find these. Places like egadget and techradar (I think?) didn't have links to buy them either. Didn't even see the page until you told me it was on the Steam app.

8. Darth_Marques

Yeah, sorry. Mobile when I posted this... Forgot to add links.

9. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Alienware Steam Machine looks interesting. Might become a competitor to Xbox and Playstation 4 one day.

10. Darth_Marques

Honestly, I could see this happening at some point. I'd also like it.

11. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Well the nice thing about Steam Machines there are different ones depending on your needs, so technically it could become much more successful than the Xbox One and PS4 because
    1. The games are cheaper
    2. There is more than one console so you'll likely end up with something that suits you best
    3. Valve=Quality

• Like Like x 1
  12. Darth_Marques

That's what I'm saying. Consoles will cease to exist in favor of Steam machines. Especially with the serious development into VR tech.

Vavle delivers on quality, but its game devs that may not deliver. Which isn't surprising. IMO, consoles will always be behind PC. It takes time for devs to figure out how to get the most out of console hardware. The 360 wasn't pushed performance-wise until Destiny and BF4 hit the shelves.

Then you look at PC games, and everything is smoother, prettier, and bigger. Valve is opening up a middle ground that couldn't exist because consoles are so big right now. Given time, Xbox and PS4 consoles may become upgradeable consoles, much like Steam Machines now. It'll be a while, as the lifetime of current gen is another 9ish years.

TL;DR I agree with you lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It will take quite a few years, though. Steam does have a lot of games, but not as many as Xbox/PlayStation.

14. Darth_Marques

Yup. I've got time to wait though. Until then, I'll continue playing consoles.

15. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Yeah, but most of what is on Xbox and PS is on Steam, so exclusives will keep them alive I guess

16. Reaper

Microsoft and Sony aren't getting kicked out of the scene without a fight. I wouldn't bet on Valve succeeding consoles. Steam is a nice platform, but there's one key. Another thing here is games favour consoles, at least some of the bigger ones. Excluding Battlefield, they love consoles, because that's where the bucks are at. GTA took 2-3 years to come out on PC... Call of Duty, while a terrible franchise now, also favours consoles. Valve is going to have to offer something good for developers, and adoption will need to be high (even amongst younger, say 12 year old, gamers, pretty difficult?).

Not sure what this is going to mean for consoles.

17. Darth_Marques

Really, I think the biggest push will be from VR tech. And then incorporating that into new/old games for the immersion. Steam has an advantage there already, though adoption rates will be small at first.

Given time, testing, development, and maturity? Force to be reckoned with I think.

But yes, it'll be a looooong time before it actually happens, unless something better comes out.

18. PulsarX

PulsarX Captain

35%
    Idk but Id go with getting yourself a gaming desktop because it is likely to get better gaming quality, windows is way more developed, tested, and patched and has tons of extra features then the steam machine. It's even remotely possible that the steam machine will fail and they will not support it so in my opinion its worth the extra for a good PC. Another reason is that not all games will run on Linux (the base of the Steam OS) and to me a good, normal computer would be better.

19. Darth_Marques

You could still dual boot windows, especially with an upgradeable Steam Machine. Run a second HDD, but if you're buying a Steam Machine, chances are you already own a gaming rig or owned one previously. Honestly, I'd pick one up just because it's easier. Everything is picked already, and its not at a bad price considering what you get.

Until this releases though, we won't know. I've used SteamOS and its actually pretty nice. Or it was when it was in beta, so I'm hopeful. The likelihood of me actually getting this are slim though. I've got a lot of upcoming Xb1 games reserved that are releasing around that time.