Thoughts on DLC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nova, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Whether you like it or not, DLC is a thing. Always has been and always will be.
    I mean, DLC existed long before video games did. Board Games may not have "Downloadable Content" in the traditional sense but the concept is still the same.
    But DLC doesn't have to be a bad thing all the time. Sometimes, you can just pay for the little extra stuff you may want.

But also sometimes it can be a bad thing.
    Here, name any and all games you can think of where DLC engulfed, destroyed and ruined a game.

My pick: Evolve

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I heard it had ruined it pretty badly. Never played it, though I really wanted to play. Oh well, glad I didn't waste the money on it.

The first game I played with DLC was CoD4: Modern Warfare. It was little more than a map pack or two for a great game (at the time.) Then I played Modern Warfare 2, which was fantastic until DLC started coming out. Each release would have to be patched the next day, either making the game unplayable by freezing up, or graphics glitches, weapons being extremely OP... it was the first game i ever played that was updated so frequently. Sometimes it was 3-4 updates a week to fix small problems. Once the DLC stopped coming, it was fine and everything balanced out.

Or, in the case of WoW, it doesn't have DLC in the traditional (modern?) sense. Each expansion is DLC, but the last 2 (Warlords & Mists) have completely destroyed the game. Well, for me at least. I pretty much refuse to play at this point, because its no longer fun.

As an opposite game breaking DLC thing, Destiny has actually benefit from the latest release. The game actually has a story to it, a lot more is explained, etc. Is it perfect? No, but its much more cohesive than the original plot.

3. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    See, I'd pay $40 on that.
    I wouldn't pay $50 for 16 more maps, 4 new game modes and new heroes when the game has less content than that and I payed more for the game. (Battlefront)

4. Darth_Marques

Agreed. I bought TTK on faith alone, and it laid off. I'll continue to support Bungie if they can keep bettering the game like the latest release. Also, the DLC release model has changed this year. It isn't 2 medium DLCs and one large DLC. It's probably one medium DLC, one large DLC, and small intermittent events (festivals, holidays, etc) occasionally.

Which I see as being better. 3 months to work on a DLC? That's crazy. 6 months to work on a DLC, and having another team work on events and other extras? Waaaay better.

And what's the deal with Battlefront? I haven't bought it yet.

5. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Neither have I. Apparently, it's a hit or miss, either you like it or not.
    The balancing isn't always right, the DLC is crazy af, and they are already working on a sequel. The graphics are awesome though.

6. Darth_Marques

I was kind of in between during the beta, hence the current delay in picking it up. Giving it a few months to stabilize before I either buy it, or decide not to buy it. I love Star Wars, but not enough to blindly buy games in the hopes that it'll be great lol.

7. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    My thought's exactly. The games for the Holiday Special. Banded Star Wars, absolute carp.
    I mean seriously, I couldn't even get through the whole thing.

8. Darth_Marques

Fun fact, there was a Mortal Kombat-like game made for Star Wars. It was terrible, controls were sluggish...

Masters of Teras Kasi

Jedi characters were unbeatable if playing as a non-Jedi. Some invented characters just for the game. Bunch of other crappy things, such a poorly done game...

9. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    Reference:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I kinda like DLC, if it's for a good game. Like good DLC for The Last of Us would be great. Battlefield 3's DLC was also amazing. BF4's was crap, the game was too, but moving on... It's nicer to buy DLC for a cheaper price to enjoy the game more, aka what people did in BF3 for more guns, maps, etc. than to have to buy a completely new game.

I'm not sure of any games that were destroyed by DLC unless they were already broken in the first place and the company wanted more money instead of fixing their damn game. Oh, we can name tons of those *cough*.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Darth_Marques

My problem with CoD DLC is the release schedule of the games. Every year or so its a brand new game, slightly different, and then they add a few map packs and call it DLC. It isn't DLC if it doesn't actually extend the content of the game IMO.

Take Destiny (sorry lol) for example. The DLC there is used for multiple purposes. Adding content, back stories, lore, new areas to do new things in, raids, strikes, multiplayer maps, guns, revamp/remove old or ridiculous systems (like Ascendant/Radiant shards), new abilities, new subclasses, and then cosmetic items. And then they bundle a game update with it, to fix over/underpowered weapons or abilities, cheeses, glitches, bugs, etc. Not to mention, players received free Silver (micro-transactions) for some new emotes to use in-game.

(Going off-topic, but kinda related.)
    Now, the 1% of players that have already done everything in the latest DLC are just that: the 1%. Other players may not have reached lvl 20 yet. Or received an exotic weapon/armor, much less leveled it up. That 1% complains that its not enough, despite Time-Gates and other staggered content releases. So they go play other games, or just invent new challenges for themselves. The other 99% have more than enough content to do for the in-between stage of the DLC cycle. So whose fault is it that the 1% have completed everything, while the 99% have completed little to some of it? Certainly not Bungie's fault, for releasing a DLC with a ton of content. The 1% is always in a race to be first and World First. Like Bungie cares lol.

Anyhow, the above is for comparison to, say, CoD games, where you get simple map packs for the price of (I forget) $15? $20? When Destiny charges $40 for map packs, PLUS everything else I listed, people go apeshit (before it even released by the way) because its "overpriced" based on how it looked in previews.

(/rant Back on topic.)
    Yeah, I got to comparing DLCs in my mind and went bananas about it. I used to pay money for new maps on CoD... /facepalm

The BF3 DLC was amazing, but what ruined BF4 besides the gameplay, was the introduction of Premium or whatever it was called. All the coolest stuff was locked behind a monthly subscription, like weapon skins and whatnot. And the fact that you could pay money to unlock Recon or Assault classes fully without playing them. Got tired of seeing lvl 3s running around with the bossass sniper that I'd painstakingly leveled up Recon to earn.

12. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

BF3 had premium too, but none of this battlepack crap. BF3 premiums got a tag ingame, dog tags every month, and all of the DLCs. That was about it. It was worth it. Premium was cheaper than all the DLCs, and every map on those DLC packs was worth it, the extra guns that were available to unlock were nice, the dog tags even. BF4 premium was a damn joke. EA realised they can squindle money out of people now. So when EA grown between the BF3 -> BF4 period, they started making crappy, under developed games because they realised they're of that size where they can sell crap and still make money. That's why I like smaller companies.

http://www.naughtydog.com/

Probably the best, large company. They create the Uncharted and The Last of Us games, amongst others. They have a flawless reputation. Valve has some good games in its hand, but not a flawless rep. Half Life, for example. People love it so much that they'd be under too much pressure to create an excellent, worthy HL3 in this day and age. It'd roll in so much money but they need to do it perfectly, or it'll mess up the series completely and partly Valve's reputation. If they do it good, well the amount of money rolling in would be high.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I don't think so. DLC is just downloadable content, which can be anything rally. Whether it's nesscary or not is a different question.
    Also, @Reaper can you change the title of this thread?

14. Darth_Marques

What's the change needed?

You're right, but my idea of DLC has changed. If its simply some maps being added, I'll do without it if it costs $$$. Just my personal preference, that's all.

15. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I think this is more of a discussion about DLC rather than talking about the games it's ruined

16. Darth_Marques

True that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Darth_Marques

There ya go. Took me a minute, got distracted watching South Park...

• Like Like x 1