VIP Upgrade

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Ice King, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice King

Ice King Lieutenant

10%
    The Avatar size is Too Small.

I suggest changing it to 150x150 & 50KB.

~ MrFlippers

2. God

God Lieutenant

60%
    I don't know if I should buy and upgrade or not on this forum so early. Might just wait until I get a few hundred posts.

Anyways I was just going to ask why the paypal isn't working for the VIP upgrade. Are you aware of that Robust?

Also who is Locke? Haven't seen him around...

3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for the suggestion. Sadly we can't allow any more than 100x100 for avatars, and I've talked to our designer to make sure that is correct. I've increased file size for avatars to 20KB, I'm sure that's more than enough for a static image.

4. Scott

Scott Lieutenant

10%
    Robust is aware of the problem.

He's currently on holiday in Africa.

5. Reaper

Regarding the VIP upgrade, it's currently at $0.05 for testing. I was developing the IPN a while ago, and was testing it today with the user White and it didn't seem to work. I've changed the foundation of the script to use notify_url and work better, and hopefully it'll work now. I haven't quite tested it, so anyone buying it at 0.05 will be refunded and put back to Member of course, until I get someone that I can test it out with.

Regarding VIP, it'll probably be at its cheapest point right now, and it'd be stupid if we closed the board after making so much so I'd see no harm in getting it :p All up to you though, new features will always come for it but I try to make VIP an extra, you can still do quite a lot with being a normal member. I tried to balance it out as much as possible. I get annoyed by "pay2win" ideas, and where it's a forum I'd like everyone to be able to express their opinion the same way. So all benefits will be fun, additional onto the forum but not something to make the forum into a rainbow of colours, or unbalanced in terms of +5 and +10 and crazy amounts of reputation, etc etc.

And regarding Locke, best he introduces himself.

6. God

God Lieutenant

60%
    Hahaha I will take a $0.05 upgrade any day ;)

7. Reaper

IPN is still broken :( I'll put a disclaimer saying not to purchase anything, and make sure it's fixed ASAP.

8. vlader101@gmail.com

vlader101@gmail.com Lieutenant

10%
    Oops lol. I just bought vip for the giggles.

9. Reaper

I've refunded them all xD
    Sucks that it's not working right now, but hopefully a good day of work today can fix it.

10. Doxicity

Doxicity Lieutenant

60%
    I see that it's still $0.05.
    What is the actual price supposed to be?

11. Vegas

Vegas Lieutenant

60%
    Silly me. You don't need to refund the last one, 5cents isn't worth the extra refund on your PP. You might want to close the auto-buy so it doesn't keep happening though.

12. Reaper

It's still broken. I might just have to use the IPN script provided by MyIPN and change my upgrade page slightly.

5 more VIP purchases, sthawp buying xD, refunded them too. I swear if I get done by PayPal for fraud and lots of 0.05 spam I'll go ballistic.

Price, I was going to put it at $11.95, possibly around $8.95 to start off with, like I said, this forum isn't meant to make me a millionaire or something so I won't be charging crazy $20 prices and have 25 upgrade groups. It's quite irritating when forums have a hundred different colours + usergroup colours. It puts me off from being active because I have no idea what's what :p

13. Doxicity

Doxicity Lieutenant

60%
    I know that it's currently broken, but what is it supposed to actually cost?
    $10/$15/$20?

14. Reaper

Just edited my original post, I don't think it'll ever go higher than $15 for the foreseeable future.

15. Vegas

Vegas Lieutenant

60%
    ^ Why you shouldn't refund them :rolleyes:
    Whatever you gotta do, you should make quick work of it for your Paypal's sake :p

16. Reaper

Then I'll have about 28 issues in my resolution center if everyone that bought made a case lol. Working on it right now.

17. Reaper

I have removed the ability to purchase right now. I'll have to wait for either Omniscient to respond (as I may just end up using the MyIPN IPN file, as I don't really need the entire package, but I'm not 100% sure it'll work on MyBB 1.6.14) or understand why on earth my IPN isn't working.

18. Vegas

Vegas Lieutenant

60%
    Maybe you could start out with like a cheap oldfag group, or even implementing like a VIP/MASTER system with 2 levels (changed to any variant of those such as l33t/ub3r, super/ultra, etc. Kind of goes against having multiple upgrade groups but it's just 2, and having at least one of them at like $5 will pretty much guarantee you at least one purchase. I imagine more are to come regardless.

19. Reaper

Probably VIP and MVP being introduced at a later date. And I dunno about $5. We don't really plan on anything like donator awards etc so I'll probably price the first upgrade at 11.95 to start with, and if it ever needs increasing then make sure it goes no higher than 14.95. Prices for MVP are really unknown and I don't really want to plan it at this stage. The award and the group for it exists, but it doesn't have any special features or anything right now to make it worth any extra money of someone's than the first upgrade. Upgrades are pretty common, and quite a traditional purchasable item on forums. I don't want to introduce meaningless things right now such as user owned groups, donator awards and break everything I've worked for and turn this into general discussion, that's why I'm capping it at an upgrade for the time being. If groups come, they'll likely be a couple months away at the least, and I'll make sure to find some actual purpose for them. Other fun things will come soon, likely a shop to buy out random things and access to fun tools around the site.

20. Vegas

Vegas Lieutenant

60%
    Welp, it's definitely good that you're being cautious with your actions. Can't be rushing for the bucks, that's for sure :D

21. Reaper

Yeah lol, as any forum owner before starting out I took a look around forums and the content is quite generic. Same ideas. Usergroups for a couple hundred. Custom awards for about a hundred bucks. 2-4 upgrades and either general discussion or a specific topic in the domain name or site name, but the site being general discussion. It's quite common. Copying parts is simply using good ideas and developing on them, copying the entire bundle, I don't even know why someone would pay money there rather than the place they copied from. I don't really want to be that generic forum.

Even if I was crazy for profit, any smart board administrator should make their board successful, and then grind a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred. Simple business idea. Don't understand what people do these days :shrug:.

22. God

God Lieutenant

60%
    Well everything aside, you should do something special for the OG Gaming Forum members if you know what I'm saying *wink wink* ;)

Lol I'm just playing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.