Weekly Improvements & Monthly Additions - Chat Box

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Reaper, Apr 8, 2015.

Should a chat box be implemented?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2015.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I want to start improving things more and adding in things that the community wants. So you can suggest things in this thread and it'll be considered for a future week or month. More major things are looked at monthly, and minor things are looked at weekly. This way, features are added in that the community would like to see. Our end goal is to make a community which offers everything gamers want, and this is a great way of getting some input.

I'll start this week - a chat box. Sometimes you don't want to make a thread, and there a chat box allows you to talk to people without having to make a thread. This would be suited for small discussions and general conversation. The add-on we'd use would be TaigaChat Pro, you can take a look at it and see all of its features. So what do you think?

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I voted no, mainly due to activity concerns. The presence of it would divert the small chitchat yes, but IMO it also draws a lot of attention away from the deeper threads. I could see in the case of staff member use, or even paid membership but for average members I wouldn't consider it for a second. Its hard to say at this point though. I've been on small, exclusive communities that had one installed, and posting slowed until it was nonexistent. No new content was being pushed.

And I've seen large communities function better with one. I don't really know the dynamics involved to actually guess whether or not it'll do well for the site. Its a hit-or-miss thing IMO.

Just some things to consider. ;)

3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Darth_Marques What I'd add is a rule to prevent any discussion that could be a thread. e.g.
    "I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast, cornflakes or toast" = chat box
    "Not sure whether to get a Playstation or an Xbox, thoughts?" = a thread

The former would never be able to be in a thread, and I doubt it'd even get posted in the chat box, but the overall idea is meant to provide more social interaction and activity while not affecting the content posted in the forums. The latter would only be able to be put in a thread.

4. Darth_Marques

True. Shoutbox moderators ftw!

5. Darth_Marques

Mobile view of the site is looking good. Logged on this morning and everything was different. New icons, subtle differences in the navbar. Looks good.

6. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Voted no, personally I wouldnt add a chat box to my sites. Never really liked them and they always seem to be a cause of a drop of new topics.