Weekly Updates, Tables, User Titles, Partnerships and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Reaper, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What's up, gamers. Here's another update packed with a bunch of stuff that can't exactly be utilised the best, but it's all part of every little helps. I do want to use this post as an opportunity to say some stuff about what's been going on and our future goals, though.

Downtime
    We were down for almost a month, and when we came back up ~1 month ago I didn't really make a post justifying it. I got extremely busy with life, and afterwards had a lot of catch up to do and get back on track. Due to that, most online commitments were put aside as last priorities. The hosting ran out during this period, and I wasn't able to check back and renew it. When I got back, a lot of stuff was going on. So there are a bunch of changes. Honestly, I learned a lot the last time I ran it and technically this is a completely new installation with our previous database imported in. After that, I used whatever modifications I wanted, and made the rest to make up what we have now. And to clarify, no, we are not being sold. :)

There's also a new style. A dark style wasn't intentionally what I was going for when I had the idea of a new style. Before I come onto that, we did use a style by Brivium. A style which a lot of users liked. The problems were outnumbering the benefits though. Teeny problems kept adding up to problems. Brivium offered great support to fix some, and for others he refused them to be a problem with his framework. Eventually, I got sick of the idea of having a separate add-on with so many bugs controlling the style we have in place, so I went with a new style and this one is beautiful. A lot of modifications are indeed pending, but once we're done it'll look great.

Partnerships
    A new post will come out directly to address this, but I want Gaming Forums to fill in holes in the gaming industry that aren't already filled up properly. I won't elaborate on these exactly yet until they're ironed out and we can show them off in beta. I've sent some proposals to popular YouTubers, clans, groups, and a variety of other people. So far I've gotten some interesting replies, and hopefully we should be having them in our community once we roll out these features. So that is something to look forward to. Again, it will have its own news post to elaborate on this further.

Weekly Updates
    Every week, an email will come out with some of the buzzing threads here on Gaming Forums. Four of these will be from the News section, and the other 6 will be discussions created by members, a total of 10 threads per email. This is sent to all members and should inform you about what's going on here. You can unsubscribe by clicking the link in the email if desired, but it is only once a week and we provide meaningful content you should enjoy, with zero advertisements, so we're not spamming you :) It's intended to interest you.

Tables
    I'm sure most of you will read this and say "meh", but it is actually a useful feature for longer, more formal threads. We use an add-on for creating tables in threads and posts. This is useful for leaderboard rankings, organising content, a lot of stuff. I won't explain how to use it here, since everything you need is on the BB Codes page. The add-on we use is this one, in case you want to see examples shown there, I find it a bit clearer than the BB Code page personally. There's also a live example of this being used here.

User Titles and Progress Bars
    User titles are always a cool thing to have, and a good way to display your 'rank' amongst members. We calculate user titles using trophy points, I should make a thread by itself to explain that. You can see a list of trophies here. In a more basic sense though, trophies are split into categories. Some are general, and some are specific to perhaps linking social media accounts, sharing posts to friends, or talking about a certain game a lot. These trophies are displayed on your profile page once you achieve them. As you stack up your points, you get a new user title. Here are the user titles you can get:

User TitleTrophy Points Needed
    Private0
    Lieutenant5
    Captain15
    Major35
    Colonel50
    Brigadier100
    General250
    Commander500
    Quite a long update, not the most exciting one though. From now on, I'll probably do update threads for every feature that isn't a little bug fix just to organise things better. Should be some exciting updates coming over the next few weeks though! Until then, stay gaming.

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

Lot's of work being done. Looking great!

If you ever need help with bug testing, let me know. I tend to find the weird bugs lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Good to see you back online with some good updates.

I assume the weekly email update is via an addon, do you mind sharing which one youre using. Think I may know but want to double check.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reaper

We use Weekly Digest and modified the email message with a layout change, but that add-on fetches the information and does all of the work. You can find it on XF Resource Manager here.

5. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Not the one I thought you'd say, not seen this one before.

6. Reaper

Which one were you thinking of? That's a great one for this though, after taking a look at possible solutions, that was my favourite.

There is also this one, which I guess you were thinking of. They serve very similar functions, except that only emails inactive members. Really depends on the purpose you desire.

7. Darth_Marques

I was never able to get a good response to using the addon mentioned. I like the idea of a weekly digest though. Keep an eye on the most popular threads/news and see what the buzz is about.

8. ramzilla

ramzilla Lieutenant

10%
    Glad to see your back! Great updates, but whats with that post index thinger?

9. Darth_Marques

The weekly update email? It's a courtesy email basically. Sort of a, hey this is what's trending this past week kind of deal. Its actually nice.

10. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Thought it may have been this one, been following this for a while and seems quite goog.

11. Reaper

I think I prefer that one, but $50 is extremely overpriced.

12. Reaper

That thing shows what post you're viewing out of how many posts there are in the thread. Enter Index means the post you want to go to. I'll probably reword it really soon to Enter Post Number so it makes sense. Part of the todo.

I think he's talking about the 10 OUT OF 10 thing (at least at the time of writing, for you it's probably 11 OUT OF (however many posts there are). It's next to the search box on the navigation.

13. Darth_Marques

Oh, I gotcha haha. My bad.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Lieutenant

20%
    Like the updates, and especially the user titles! Looking forward to more updates as well!

• Like Like x 1