What do you think about Macbooks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lara, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Lara

Lara Guest

I'd never used a Macbook before I needed to use one for school a few years ago. I found them a bit too expensive and a nice Dell or HP laptop always worked for me, but until I was forced to use a Macbook I never really appreciated how good they are. From design right to functionality, I've been using a Mac since. I have an iPhone 5S, Macbook Pro Mid-2014, an old iMac and my old Macbook Pro now. Their devices are simplistic, beautiful and do the job very well. Do you own a Mac? What do you think?

2. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I've owned an iPhone since the 3 came out. I just bought my wife a 6 for her birthday. I'm partial to Macbooks myself. The phones, meh. Wife loves them, so that's all that matters. But I'll skip out on buying anything else Apple for a while. I just bought an iPad mini not 2 weeks ago. I hate it, the wife loves it. My only fault with the iPhone and iPad is that they're expensive. And seeing as they don't provide new features until a year after Android... Well I'll stick with android. My wife will likely stick to Apple lol.

3. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Similar story, but mine wasn't for school. I just bought one because I wanted to try an Apple product, and my current Macbook Pro was my first. I love it. I have an iPhone 6 Plus too after that, it's alright but extremely fragile I'd say. I personally preferred my Android device, but I can't say I'm disappointed. I'd say they're overpriced, heavily overpriced. Is my Macbook Pro worth £2000+? Nope. Would I buy it again for more? Yeah, definitely. I might get the next iPhone if it has major spec upgrades, imo that's what they need. I don't see myself buying an iPad or iPod though. Apple Watch? Definitely not. I'll just save up for a Rolex ;) Jokes aside, I think Macbooks are great work computers.

4. Darth_Marques

Actually, I just bought a Pebble Steel a few days ago. Should be getting here soon, I'll post a review of it tomorrow after I've played with it some.

5. Reaper

I wish I still had an Android just to get the Moto 360.

6. Darth_Marques

I looked at that one. But the Pebble has so much you can do with it. Not to mention its own, dedicated, app store. I've found a handful that I want to try out. Also, it pairs to both Android and iOS.

A friend of mine has both the Pebble and the Moto 360. He recommended the Pebble over the Moto 360.

7. Reaper

Looks good but the graphics here look really choppy.

8. Darth_Marques

E-ink display. Nothing more than I want. And for less than $220 its nice. Its the perfect size honestly.

9. Reaper

Oh, I thought their website just had low quality images.

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 19.54.44.png

It's like at the bottom of that message it's got some weird patterns and I think it says Pebble but it got cut off. It looks so out of place. The watch itself looks nice, but the display really looks ancient. It costs a bit less than the Moto 360 with a metal wristband, but more than the Moto 360's entry point. There's always more to a product than graphics though. Let me know when you get it and what you think of it.

10. Reaper

Actually, looking at the following image, I think the page I was looking at just has weird shots. It actually looks pretty good from other images, just off a quick Google search.

[​IMG]

11. Darth_Marques

Yeah that first image was notifications. The one that was cutoff was the next notification in line after the text. More of a border than anything.

12. Darth_Marques

Just came in the mail an hour or so ago. Adjusted the links and it fits nicely. Its rather light considering what I expected. Pairing was simple, as well setup. Its charging now. Time to full charge is around 3 hrs.

13. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have had two Macbook Pros since 2012. Aside from the price, I think that they are great for school, work, gaming, and daily use.

14. Darth_Marques

Out of curiosity, were these ordered online or just bought from a store? In relation to gaming, I had a store bought one that did pretty well. It wasn't the best, but was curious if any of the upgrades you could choose by ordering it online made any difference.

I mostly played Minecraft and WoW, so it wasn't much of a test but it faired well enough that the games were playable.

15. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I purchased both in a "certified by Apple" store. My second one was bought about 6 months ago, as my old one stopped working. I do not play any games that require high performance, which is one of the reasons that I purchased a Macbook Pro in the first place.