Windows 10 Cut Features

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So with the upcoming release of Win10, Microsoft has decided to release a list of features that will not make it to release. Typically, deprecated programs that are useless now.

List:
    -Windows Media Center
    -DVD playback now requires separate playback software
    -Windows 10 Home will automatically install updates.
    -Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise will have ability to defer updates.
    -Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts have been removed. Microsoft has released its own Solitaire collection and Minesweeper.
    -USB floppy drive users will need a driver from Microsoft or manufacturer.
    -if Windows Live Essentials is installed, OneDrive application is removed and replaced with inbox version.

Nothing drastic but the loss of Solitaire will probably bring many sighs of longing at having to install it manually.

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Some people are going to be unhappy, I don't see any reason in not wanting automatic updates but...

3. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Never used many of those things so not really bothered, only one would be the updates but I'll be getting the Pro version anyway.

4. Darth_Marques

A lot of the updates are optional on Win7. The important ones are automatically installed, but unimportant ones, like language support, are installed by choice.

Honestly, I'd like to be able to set a time when the updates would install. As it is, installing when they download sucks.

5. Darth_Marques

Windows 10 is beautiful. Works great and the hybrid start menu is what should have been done the first time around. I'm impressed, and can't wait for the full release.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Installed Windows 10 on an old laptop over the weekend, so far it's very good but need to play around with it for longer.

7. Darth_Marques

Installed it a few days ago, and its pretty. Like, first impression was "holy shit, this is pretty..."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    It's looks a lot better than I thought it would.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reaper

Trying it out now.

10. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I actually don't like automatic updates for the following reasons:
    • I don't know when to back up my files, which I normally always do for a BIG update.regardless, a update is still a update but I'd like to be able to not have it if necessary
    • If something is being updated that can potentially ruin software I use (not compatible, etc.) I'd get pretty upset
    • Don't want the space being taken up
    • Something is being updated that will add or remove something I just don't want to happen

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Darth_Marques

I wasn't impressed with the fact that you could only delay updates, and now I'm slightly disappointed.

However, the lack of Internet Explorer and the reveal of Microsoft Edge (Spartan) is sure entertaining. I haven't used Spartan just yet, but I'll get some quality time with it this weekend.

12. Reaper

I didn't use it much but it's surely innovative. Looks sleek too.

13. Darth_Marques

Oh, I'll still be using Chrome. It's neat but not enough. Still smells like I.E.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darth_Marques

On another note, Windows 10 latest preview build will now allow you to stream your XB1 games to your PC. This only works on the latest build, so you should update if you haven't already.

It should have already updated though so if it hasn't, be sure to check into it.

15. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Will update over the weekend to see how this works.

16. Darth_Marques

I'm thinking it's something to do with the Xbox app. I tried launching it, it loaded for hours (8 or so) and then I gave up. Maybe I need to reupdate or something.

17. Darth_Marques

Alright, after messing around with the streaming feature, I figured it out. You use the "Xbox" app on Windows 10, assuming you sign in as the same account as your XBL. After that, connect to your (currently Local support only) Xbox One. Choose "test streaming" at the top after connecting. You may need to reboot your computer, or Xbox One. Additionally, keyboard/mouse support will be unavailable. Microsoft announced that it will not be coming either so you need a controller. After that, it's not bad. Runs fine on my crappy PC, though the Xbox One is locked down during streaming (unsurprising as the console is still doing the heavy lifting.)

Microsoft said "Remote Play" features may be coming in the future, so the limited Local network streaming may end up an old limit at some point.

18. KeVo

KeVo Lieutenant

20%
    Windows 10 is definitely leaps and bounds better than Windows 8. It's too bad that beta users aren't going to get a license or anything.

19. Darth_Marques

It's a free upgrade from 8/8.1 for the first year. So upgrade to 8 now, then get the free upgrade in a few months. 2 for 1 deal lol.

20. KeVo

KeVo Lieutenant

20%
    I abhor Windows 8. lol
    Not to mention, on this particular laptop, I can't really seem to watch any videos without bad lagging when on Windows. Hence why I am usually on a Linux distro.