Windows 10

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, May 31, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

So with Windows 8 (and 8.1) being the tick of Microsoft's release pattern, Windows 10 is to be the tock that everyone so badly wants. With the retiring of Internet Explorer sometime this late summer or early fall, the new browser codenamed Spartan looks to be an altogether better update. Officially, Spartan's release name is Microsoft Edge. Disappointingly, the shortcut icon has not been updated or changed much, if any. And the previously impressive name kind of put some anti-hype into the official name. I think I'll still call the browser Spartan anyway.

Additionally, MS is adding Cortana to the mix. Basically, it's the Siri of Windows and yes, named from Halo's AI sidekick. Cortana is fully integrated throughout the OS, and has some pretty significant advantages. I only know this from various reviews, though I'm hoping to add my own experiences after the preview build finishes downloading and installing.

For the first year, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 8/8.1 but after that year, it's a new upgrade fee. So for anyone wanting to get off of Win8 be sure to grab that free upgrade when it becomes available. Besides, how much worse than 8 can it be?

So, what's everyone think of this? And has anyone tried any of the preview builds?

2. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oh, I see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

Looks interesting. IE was honestly a mess. Even after every update it made, it was still 10 years behind other browsers (theoretically). Perhaps Edge/Spartan can pick up the pace a bit. Sure, innovative somewhat, but can it really deliver? Chrome, an established browser, has all of those things already. IE was really slow too. Hopefully Edge really does bring something good, at least comparable to Chrome and Firefox.

3. Darth_Marques

Some of the reviews I've read on tech blogs stated there was a vast improvement in performance alone. Cortana wasn't integrated into the builds they tested, but overall it was fairly nice. The UI is probably the next biggest change, and it looked akin to Chrome in the early days. (Firefox was a mess in the early days, but it was a better alternative to IE even then.)

Edit: starting upgrade with MS's Insider Preview program. May be a while, I'll report back any early opinions on Win10.

4. project

project Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It looks good, and I like that the old start menu is back (somewhat). However, I do not own any Windows computer at the moment.

5. Darth_Marques

Yeah, the hybrid start menu is a compromise but with programs like "Classic Shell" and such out on Win8, if the new menu sucks it won't be long before it's worked around and fixed. Honestly, Win8 isn't that bad after some adjustment. But the sudden change from Start Menu to Metro was way too brutal.

Can't say I blame you for sticking with Mac lol. My wife needs Windows to be able to use a computer, otherwise I wouldn't be running it. Most likely Linux, but oh well.

6. project

I had Windows on my desktop, but it broke and I have limited time to play games. I am better off not repairing it.

7. Darth_Marques

Gotcha. Same story here, though I just nabbed some old PC's from a local school. Upgraded the graphics card, and bam, playing Minecraft at will lol.

8. project

It annoys me sometimes though, as there are some games that I cannot play. CS:GO being one of them.

9. Darth_Marques

Something I have literally never played. Want to. But haven't had the chance to buy it and try it out. Too busy with other stuff, and I have 2 friends that play Steam at all.

10. project

I used to play it a lot before my gaming desktop broke. It took a lot of my time, though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Reaper

Reaper Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I used Ubuntu on a computer for quite a while, and since my main occupation used to be system administration it made life easier. I wouldn't recommend it really for a home computer, not much gaming support for one. Less software as well, a bit poorer in aesthetics (applications), stuff like that.

12. project

I used Ubuntu for about a month back when I had my desktop, and I have to agree. I would not recommend Ubuntu (Linux in general) for a home computer. I used Linux Mint for a few months before I got my MacBook Pro, as I purchased a cheap laptop after my first MacBook Pro broke.

13. Darth_Marques

Honestly, Ubuntu was my writing/research OS. Distraction free writing whenever I needed it. I had a second HDD I used for gaming, and it was running Windows. But for any coding, writing, research, etc...Ubuntu was useful.

Plus, installing resources and the like instead of just downloading a file is somehow gratifying. I mean, its the same thing but you type out the path instead of clicking and downloading it. I dunno, just a different experience for me lol.

14. Nova

Nova Colonel

100%
    I like Windows 8......

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Darth_Marques

I didn't at first, because it was just way different. After some time using it (and the $15 I paid to upgrade) it isn't so bad. And the 8.1 update (free) really improved the system.

16. project

Agree. Luckily, they released 8.1 quite quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Darth_Marques

I installed Win8 at launch. Replaced it a couple of days later with Win7. 8.1 came out, I reinstalled 8 and immediately updated to 8.1 when it released. All told it was like 4 months IIRC.

18. Creaky

Creaky Captain

0%
    Tried the initial build that was released and quite liked it, not tried any of the recent ones though. Got the notification yesterday about the free upgrade so will be installing once it's released.