Windows Phone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darth_Marques, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Darth_Marques

Darth_Marques Administrator Staff Member Administrator Premium

I've had a Nokia Lumia (lol) 928 for a few years now, and it's still in great shape. It's a Verizon branded phone, but it's compatible with CDMA and GSM networks. Meaning, my current AT&T SIM works in the Verizon branded phone, without being unlocked (GSM is unlocked for whatever reason...)

So I haven't used the phone in about 6 months, and in that time period Microsoft brought WP 8.1 to the Lumia 928. Got curious, installed the updates that were waiting, and swapped my SIM from Note 4 to the Lumia. Did all this last night on a whim.

Everything is working fine, and I actually like 8.1 over plain 8. Don't know why, but I do. Cortana, who will be around in Windows 10, is actually on the Lumia now as beta. Been playing around with it and having fun. All this has me thinking that Windows Phone OS is way underrated for what it can do. I'm still playing around with features and stuff, so I haven't fully tested everything but... I really like it. It has the simplicity (kind of) of iOS, and mixes in some customization options of Android. Not a bad OS really, and I'm hoping Microsoft can keep up the good work.

TL;DR Windows Phone is still very immature at this point, but 8.1 made leaps and bounds of improvement over previous versions. It's underrated and unappreciated, as it combines simplicity and customization that other OS's offer separately. (Sidenote: This almost 2 year old phone takes better pictures than any other phone I've owned, currently and previously.)

Anyone have thoughts on this? Tried or even looked at Windows Phone before? If you haven't tried it before, or just don't like it having never used it, why?